Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 build underway -- a couple of questions

Posted by kellymc 
Prusa i3 build underway -- a couple of questions
June 01, 2014 10:39PM
I started self-sourcing for my first 3d printer build 2 months ago and finally got started building this weekend. It's more or less a Prusa i3 Rework, with some deviations.

I'm pretty thrilled with how the mechanical assembly has gone so far. Having done just this much, I already have a hugely improved understanding of everything I've been reading about since I started this project. And of course now I have some new questions. The two I can remember at the moment:

1. Endstops -- The Rework assembly instructions have a note about Sainsmart endstops and that their wiring harnesses leave no room to properly screw them to their holders. Mine aren't Sainsmart, but they are obviously the same design. I'd like to find a mounting solution others have used, but there seems to be an obvious one -- bend the wire socket (which is mounted to the board with 4 pins) out 90 degrees, creating clearance for the screw holes. Is there a reason not to do so?

2. Extruder idler -- My Hot end should be here tomorrow, but I already assembled the Wade's Extruder and used some springs for the extruder idler that I think may be too big. How much pressure should the idler have? With my springs, it's quite stiff and takes some effort to pull the bearing away from the hobbed bolt. Too much? I can clip the springs a little shorter if so.

Thanks for any help (and all the help so far)
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_4638b.jpg (162 KB)
Re: Prusa i3 build underway -- a couple of questions
June 02, 2014 12:49AM
for endstops i dont have them on a circuit board mine or wired directly and then cabled tied to there positions, i notice your having the y motor at front ever considered putting it at the back

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
June 02, 2014 08:35AM
What is the point of the circuit boards anyway? Just an led and a harness connector? Maybe I should take them off and use them bare.

I tried to stay close to the documentation since this is my first build, but it does make more sense to me to have the motor in back closer to the other electronics. Are there other downsides? It's all loctited together and the rear transverse rod is longer to connect to the frame, so I'm pretty committed.
June 02, 2014 01:53PM
End Stop - This is the first time I have seen a mechanical endstop attached to a circuit board. I believe the most common method is to direct wire to a mechanical endstop, why you may not see alternative mounting designs. What you suggest should work just fine, but worse case you could remove what you dont need from the circuit board to create room, and then just direct wire to the endstop.

Extruder Idle - The amount of tension all depends on the quality of your filament and hobbed bolt. You really will not know if you need more tension or not until you get things together and running. You can cut the coils, or get a longer screw if you want, but hold off on cutting anything until you have the hot-end installed and tested things first.

Y-motor location - Nothing wrong with the motor in the front, but some put the motor in the back to hide the motor and wires from view. I think the location is more of a personal preference.
June 02, 2014 02:43PM
Just be careful wiring them to your board most people that burn boards use these switches make mistakes in wiring make sure you know what you're doing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2014 02:43PM by cnc dick.
June 03, 2014 12:39PM
Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login