Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wilson TS build log

Posted by TheHackerArtist 
Re: Wilson TS build log
September 18, 2014 09:53AM
Oh, and p.s. what brand and where did you get the white PLA?
Canadian, US, or other distributor? Always looking for good suppliers.

ISTAR Scope Club
September 18, 2014 09:06PM
Hey,

The PLA is from "reprappers" I got it at Voxel factory, in Montreal.

Were you able to view the videos?

Yes I heard of spectra line, I have the equivalent, as posted earlier. Dyneema fishing rope rated 100lbs, that was part of the upgrades I made.

Cheers.

TheHackerArtist
Re: Wilson TS build log - Nozzle size?
October 15, 2014 06:00PM
I finally got around to testing the MK8 direct drive extruders I got from china. One has a nozzle that is not well manufactured, the throat is smaller then 1.75mm. I contacted the seller and despite it being several weeks past the refund time, he sent me a new dual extruder, (so he says!) I'll have to wait a month to see if I receive it or if it got "lost on the way"

Interesting observation : The width of the extrusion is 0.56mm and the width of my other nozzle was 0.50mm ( both were advertised as 0.4mm nozzles!) I guess a bit of expansion is normal because its under pressure and expands out, but there's a significant difference. This is testing with PLA-PHA. The extrusion width of natural PLA was 0.46mm on my previous extruder.

Could anyone with a 0.5mm nozzle measure their filament width when extruding in mid air?

I'll keep you posted with about my experience with these nozzles.

best.

TheHackerArtist
October 15, 2014 11:08PM
I also built the Wilson TS im using a Jhead Mk V-BV from HotEnds.com, i normally .47-.48 but after making some adjustments to my config.h file with what mjrice has on his github im getting .50 i bought the .5mm and im quite impressed with it so far.

Hotend:

filament:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2014 11:10PM by verb.zero.
October 15, 2014 11:11PM
for all the hotends the flow rate varies a little, the best way is to calibrate it while printing using triffid hunters calibration guide
October 17, 2014 04:46AM
Hey, thanks for the responses.

verb.zero, nice the hear you've completed your Wilson! I guess really important factors are as follows:

The only four significant factors, as far as I'm concerned, that could affect the actual diameter of the filament width (when not in print) are, in order of decreasing importance, the size of the nozzle tip, the temperature of extrusion, the material used and the feed rate.

What were the last three parameters for you? What were these adjustements you made to the config file?

Ekaggrat, thanks or the link, that's a usefull one. That said, I had already went through all these steps, my prints are fine. These calibration steps do not apply here though, just curious to know if the nozzle I got from china was manufactured to size or not and if diferent materials expand diferently once extruded.

cheers.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2014 04:50AM by TheHackerArtist.
October 21, 2014 02:32AM
Hello

Quick update :

The MK8 extruder I got from China works like a charm! I get even better prints then before. I'll eventually get a dual extruder set up.

Upgrades to come : Metal wire for the drive, maybe switching the extruder drive gear with a legit MK8 one

The one on my extruder looks like this

and apperently the real MK8 ones allow for a more consistent nozzle presure, which makes sens to me.

Here's a little video for'y'all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC3rK5hZcY0

TheHackerArtist
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login