Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hot end and bed not getting hot enough...

Posted by jonkeegan 
Hot end and bed not getting hot enough...
June 03, 2014 10:40PM
So I'm just about ready to do my first print on my RepRap Prusa Mendel IT2.

Everything is wired up (seemingly) correctly, I have gone through the firmware (Marlin) many many times, but when I set the hot end to 185c and the heated print bed to 60c (i switched to "bang bang" while troubleshooting), I can't get the hot end (Budaschnozzle 2.0c set to 7 in the firmware) to get past 150c, and the bed past 52c.

My power supply I'm using (DC 12V 20A 120W): [www.newegg.com]

I read through the Triffid Hunter calibration notes, and tightened up my idler (though it's not clear exactly what he calls for tightening...I tightened the Budaschnozzle to the idler extra tight.

Any thoughts what else I should be tinkering with? I had originally had the PID mode set for the "Mendel Parts" preset, but had the same problem.
Here's my Marlin Configuration.h file:

[gist.github.com]
Re: Hot end and bed not getting hot enough...
June 04, 2014 10:07AM
I'd check the voltage delivered to the bed when the bed is on.

The "12V, 20A, 120W" spec does not make sense, since 12V at 20amps means 240W. 120W at 12V would mean only 10A.
Re: Hot end and bed not getting hot enough...
June 04, 2014 12:59PM
I agree now looking at it that those specs don't make sense. I have the same power supply and it works fine for the heated bed and extruder, as does a friend of mine. Perhaps the manufacturer started making less-powered versions to match their incorrect spec?

Here is the power supply page on newegg:
[www.newegg.com]

--Jeff Keegan (Just Another RepRap blog)
Re: Hot end and bed not getting hot enough...[SOLVED]
June 10, 2014 02:58PM
I replaced my power supply with a 400w Dynex power supply (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dynex-400-watt-atx-cpu-power-supply/8311052.p?id=1174091945952) and problem solved! Thanks for the help...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login