Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rostock Delta build

Posted by flyingmoose 
Rostock Delta build
June 08, 2014 11:08PM
Hi guys,

My friend and I decided to start a weekly project and build a printer each. We have not previously built a 3d printer before.
Since the Rostock Delta has been around a couple of years now there are many different variations. Therefore, we have chosen to combine what we think are all of the best and enhanced parts for this design that are out there. here is a link to the first video :
[www.youtube.com]

These videos are not a step by step tutorial, but i'm happy to answer any questions people might have.

Here is the Thingiverse collection that contains all of the files we are using: [www.thingiverse.com]

Here is our BOM. As we are Australian we have sourced mainly local suppliers, the rest are from China and America...

[docs.google.com]
Re: Rostock Delta build
June 15, 2014 11:45PM
Hi Guys,
My second video is now live [youtu.be]. This video is a run down of the extruder construction. I have also added a link to another extruder YouTube video which includes a step-by-step break down on the assembly of it. Like before I have links to my Australian BOM and Thingiverse collections for the build.

So far I haven't had any questions, tips or feedback, but that's cool the videos will continue to flow as this Rostock gets built.
Enjoy!
June 17, 2014 09:53PM
i think its cool you're doing some videos on the build but your camera hand is KILLING MEEEEEEE.

maybe u can plan out what you're going to say before hand too so you can eliminate a lot of the "uh, uhm ... i ..uh forgot...oh yeah..."

good work otherwise haha.
June 17, 2014 10:29PM
Ha ha, I literately agree with everything you've said, thanks for the feedback. I'll take it into consideration when I record my next video.
June 23, 2014 07:16AM
Hello Flying moose.

I was wondering how you joined the wooden members together: nails, glue, or a more advanced woodwork technique?
Cheers!
DennyP
June 23, 2014 08:42AM
Hi Danny,
Last night my build partner and I completed a mock up of the structure and I will be posting this video soon. We have not cut these yet and now that we have the rest of the frame up, this will be our next step. We have not decided yet, but most likely we will measure them so they fit past the top and all the way past the base to the ground for stability and secure them with self tapping screws into the side of each of our ply ends. We will also most likely glue them to the ply ends also for extra stability. I hope this answers your question once we have done this I'll post a video showing and explaining what we did.
Thanks,
Dan.
June 23, 2014 08:56PM
My third video is now live [www.youtube.com] . This video documents the mock-up of the frame and carriage assembly.
Thanks,
Dan.
July 14, 2014 05:39AM
Video number 4 is now live. HOD END TIME!!!

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2014 05:40AM by flyingmoose.
July 14, 2014 06:25PM
Couple tips:
Skip the stock diagonal rods and get some Traxxas rod ends and some sort of diagonal rod. You can make diagonal rods from carbon and set screws or even wood dowels (I used oak) and set screws. The stock diagonals are EXTREMELY fickle.

Buy some quality belt pulleys. Those will not run true, and if they do, they won't for long. You will also get finer resolution.

Otherwise, good luck, and have fun.
July 14, 2014 09:09PM
Cool thanks for your input. We would like to have as much as printed parts as possible, if i do find that the diagonal rods are too fickle, I'll reprint with full density and at a higher res. If that doesn't work I'll defiantly be taking your advice. The line drive system is based off this [www.thingiverse.com] , but we shall see how robust this system is, again if worse comes to worse we will fall back on the belt drive system.
July 16, 2014 06:23PM
You're welcome.

The diagonals, it's not a matter of working, they can work just as well as the Traxxas ends, the difference is in how much time do you want to spend fine tuning it. You could spend hours sanding and getting things just right, and it will work fantastic, or you could over sand one and have to start over on a new one. Get the right, they work good, but it's very easy to get them wrong. If you look at every delta since, other than SeeMeCNC's variations, they all moved away from those. If you check the original Rostock Max support forum, you will see that the diagonals are the bane of their existence. The guy I got my parts from started on the diagonals, built one and gave up. He printed another and threw that in the kit and sold the whole parts kit at a loss. I spent two hours on mine (with many more to go) before hitting the hardware and hobby store. What's your time worth? $26 will get you carbon diagonals.

Printed parts are good, and I was the same way when I started. I quickly learned that 3d printers aren't good at everything. You can do a lot with them, but there are some places where older methods of manufacturing still has a distinct advantage. Reprap started with the idea of printed and easy to find parts, but the community has moved on after seeing it's just not always practical or smart. I won't even use manufactured plastic pulleys, and even many metal ones aren't good enough. Your drive system and diagonals are the heart of a delta, if they are even slightly bad, it will never work well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login