Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Months of printing, then suddenly MAX TEMP exceeded on hot end

Posted by DoctorMike 
Months of printing, then suddenly MAX TEMP exceeded on hot end
July 13, 2014 11:28AM
I build a Mendelmax 1.5+ last year and have been printing successfully since then. Last week I printed a part then turned the machine off. When I came back to it a couple days later I was suprised to find that Pronterface was reading 750C on the hotend even without the printer on. I reset the printer but still got the same error. I haven't changed any settings for some time.

When I disconnect the thermistor from RAMPS I read 0C which makes me think there's an electrical short in the thermistor connection such that the wires are connected without the thermistor being in circuit. However, I'm not sure why this would have just suddenly manifested after so long. I do see a big blob of solid PLA sitting at the bottom of the hot end, which presumably oozed out after the last print, so perhaps that's somehow to blame.

Anybody experienced this, and if so what was the resolution? I don't want to start taking apart my hot end until I've excluded other possibilities, but so far I can't come up with any.

Thanks,
Mike
Re: Months of printing, then suddenly MAX TEMP exceeded on hot end
July 13, 2014 01:36PM
Max temp is caused by a short circuit. It could happen after a long time due to excess PLA carbonizing over the thermistor connection.
July 13, 2014 05:22PM
Thanks. If that's the case, how would I go about removing it?
July 13, 2014 06:11PM
I don't know how your thermistor is inserted. It might pull out or might need drilling out.
July 13, 2014 07:06PM
You can't just come up with a diagnosis without doing a little investigation. Disconnect your thermistor from your controller board and use an ohm meter to determine where the short circuit is. In my experience, issues like this almost always happen at connectors. I have had the heat wires fail on me twice and the thermistor once. Over time, that moving back and forth wears on the weakest link in the chain - and that is usually the connection point.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login