Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Delta rod length versus build diameter

Posted by Paul4865 
Delta rod length versus build diameter
July 18, 2014 07:04PM
Now designing my own delta, has become sort of a right of passage into the rep-rap community, I am fighting with my self to make a decision for length of the end effector rod versus build area. The question (at last) is there a sweet spot equation for best operation for build area and the length of the link rod to the end effector, we all know deltas are at there most inaccurate with the rods most vertical, how far do you go with build diameter? Rods horizontal at the furthest reach of the build area or ??????
Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Thank you all for being there.
VDX
Re: Delta rod length versus build diameter
July 18, 2014 07:23PM
... I was thinking around the same question when designing my first tripod/delta in 2007 and now again with a much bigger frame - I've posted some images in the German forum:
[forums.reprap.org]

The dimensions are highly depending on the available parts, but essentially it's gut feeling combined with testing.

My columns are 750mm high, the traveling range around 350mm, so I've selected 300mm for the arm-rods and 400mm diameter between the columns -- this will result in a building area of min 280mm diameter and around 350mm building height in the center ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 19, 2014 09:32AM
A rule of thumb used by a few people around here is that the rod length should be about 80% of the distance between two towers. If your X and Y towers are 300mm apart, you should use 240mm rods.....
July 20, 2014 02:55PM
Thanks for the advice, I had them a little bit long based on the 80% rule, going to chew it for a few more days and do some simulations before I cut the carbon tubes.
July 20, 2014 03:18PM
Out of curiosity, are you running the simulations in Jay's Mini Kossel Visual Calculator OpenSCAD package?

https://github.com/Jaydmdigital/Kossel_2020/tree/master/mk_visual_calc2020

I have never used it, and was curious if you were using it for your simulations.....
July 21, 2014 05:25PM
No never heard of it, I am going to set up some motion simulations in Solidworks, basic line following of the end effector along a path sketch, just to see that all the mates stay good and nothing gets close to an interference.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login