Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another one of those, I want to smash my kit up!

Posted by leboy070489 
Another one of those, I want to smash my kit up!
July 22, 2014 03:01PM
Hello all :-)

I recently ordered a kit from a supplier as recommended by a friend. The kit is a reprap i3, with a 1.4 Ramps board with the firmware already installed so I was told, 1 extruder and hot bed all powered by a ATX power supply.

Ive built the printer and all seems fine on that front however I am just seeing funny performance. If I put a video up would someone be willing to help me out? I've been at this for about 3 days now, studying the poor instructions and I am literally about to throw all this in the bin!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2014 05:15PM by leboy070489.
Re: Another one of those, I want to smash my kit up!
July 22, 2014 04:25PM
The nice thing about the Prusa i3 is that there are so many variants that there are lots of instructions to supplement your vendors.

I am sure plenty of individuals would be happy to help you out if you post a video of your issues, though you might want to provide something more descriptive then it is acting funnny. Are you confident that you have it together correctly? Did you recieve actual firmware that you can reload onto the mega board or just the copy that came pre-loaded? Have you done any calibration on your steps per mm, bed leveling, extruder, etc...
July 22, 2014 05:12PM
Hi thanks for the reply- I did after another 30 mins of googling find another manual but the build aspect is fine, its solid and sturdy. I really think there is some calibration/software setup issue for which the instructions haven't been that great/or specific

Ok- my firmware came pre-loaded. Marlin firmware using RAPRAP V1.4 on an Arduino Mega.

Ive been able to test all the end stop switches using M119 code when in pronterface and they are work and when pressed flag as minimum.

My Z axis works lovely and stops once it reaches the end switch.
My X axis goes in the opposite direction to where I was instructed the end switch should be, so it doesnt stop at end of travel.

That is the first issue I want to address if possible, working issue at a time!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2014 05:14PM by leboy070489.
July 23, 2014 04:08AM
Invert the X axis end stop in firmware

July 23, 2014 11:51AM
waitaki
Invert the X axis end stop in firmware

Since he tested it with M119 and they show as being correct this would just make it even more confusing.

All that is needed is to unplug the machine from the wall so it has no power and then unplug the motor and plug it in the other way around. This will make it got the opposite direction and the problem will go away.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
July 23, 2014 02:43PM
Sublime- spot on. Solved the problem nice quick and easy even though I did try this before I got the result needed. Waitaki I guess this method would also work but I don't want to mess around too much with the firmware if I can help it! Thanks guys. Just resolved my Y axis as well.

Next I need to figure out why the extruder stepper motor is dead/unresponsive
July 23, 2014 04:48PM
Thank you Sublime, didn't have a clue how to help leboy. I never would have considered the motor being reversed.

As for your extruder motor, what is the voltage of the motor driver? Mine was at least twice what my axis motors were.
July 23, 2014 08:08PM
The extruder motor will not turn unless you have the hotend heated. You could try M302 to allow cold extrusions as long as there is a thermistor connected, if there is no thermistor it will not work even with M302.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
July 23, 2014 10:34PM
You can ger the motor to run without a thermistor and the m302 command you need to comment out max temp values

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login