Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My problems have got problems

Posted by dholverson 
My problems have got problems
July 23, 2014 07:07PM
I'm trying to get a MendelMax 1.5 running. It has the Arduino Mega board with a Ramps 1.4 and Poulous on top of that with Marlin firmware. I'm trying to run it with Repetier 0.56 running under OS X 10.9.4. The thermistors either read 0° with the heaters off or full temperature with the heaters on, even though they check out in the 80-90K ohm range on the DMM. Nothing wants to move because of endless "Error: stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting.)" With no saying what any of those those endless errors are. And when something does move, the Y and Z motors run backwards. And then they don't stop, despite that the estops all check out on the DMM. Please, help. Thanks!
Re: My problems have got problems
July 23, 2014 08:18PM
The first G-code that you will be learning is M119. It shows what the firmware thinks your endstop switches are seeing. Get them sorted out first, as they cause weird motor behaviors like steppers not moving or only moving in one direction.

With the thermistor problem, is one of the leads shorting out against the heater block?????
July 24, 2014 10:03PM
I just run the M119 J-code. So far x-min, x-max, and y-min are triggered without anything touching the micro-switch levers. Y-max, z-min, and z-max are open. So what now?
July 24, 2014 10:09PM
I just moved some of the pigtails over and now I got x-min, y-min, and z-min triggered with nothing touching the micro-switch levers. X-max, y-max, and z-max are now open. What's next?
July 26, 2014 06:26PM
Remember that the switches are considered triggered when they are in the open state. The switches themselves should be wired on the common and NC connectors, so they go 'open' when the lever is hit. The ramps board has provision for axis min and max switches, so you must have jumpers on the unused end stop pins, which tricks the board to thinking it has switches attached.
July 26, 2014 06:43PM
Test each switch with an M119 command until they all read triggered only when triggered. If there is a problem, you can either change the wiring or else invert the endstop signal in firmware. With the endstops working correctly, your stepper motors should then move in both directions in Repetier Host.....
July 29, 2014 10:57PM
Thanks so far! I swapped wires on the micro-switches and got them working right. I repinned a couple of motors and got them turning the right direction. I changed a couple of firmware settings and got the thermistors to read right.

Know my current problems are that the X and Y axises only move about 9mm when I jog them 10mm. And the Z axis only moves about 1mm when I jog it 10mm. What do I need to configure now?
July 30, 2014 02:18AM
follow this calibration guide [reprap.org]
July 30, 2014 05:47AM
Okay, does having the Ramps board jumpered to do 1/16 steps affect anything? And how do you level both screw-drives of the Z-axis?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login