Choosing a Hotend - Welcome to the jungle!
August 04, 2014 01:40PM
Hi everyone,

This last year we were blessed with the birth of our 2nd daughter which resulted in having no time to invest in my 3d printing hobby.
I am completely out of phase with what's going on in the community and I need your help.

I have killed my backup Arcol v4 hot end, barely used it, the stainless steal barrel split in two lengthwise and plastic started spewing out all over horror movie style.
I am not new to those hot ends and have always been very careful not to damage the stainless part... so I've got no clue how that happened.

That being said, I want to try something new. I like all metal because of the material flexibility (high temp) but there is so many stuff available out there right now... its like everyone is now selling their own hot end.

A few I find interesting are:

Hexagon hot end cause... its cheap and seems resonably well built
[www.reprapdiscount.com]

The Pico hotend from B3 innovations looks awesome, lots of thinking has been put in this product
[www.b3innovations.com]

Prussa nozzle for its single part built which will definitly help with the annoying problems of filament path not allways lining up perfectly inside the nozzle... Im tired of reassembling nozzles!
[prusanozzle.org]

Truth is, I'm not too sure who to trow my money at and being very cash limited right now, I cant afford to buy a lemon.

If any of you guys had the chance to compare the performance of these hot ends side by side please share your thoughts and please suggest other hotends if there is something better available.

Thank you.
Fred.

ps.: I print mainly in PLA for now but I have nylon i need to start using and I plan on doing a lot more ABS in the future. I also want to try some of that flexible filament.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2014 01:43PM by thecrazy.
Re: Choosing a Hotend - Welcome to the jungle!
August 04, 2014 03:13PM
E3D has the most use and I have not heard any good of the Prusa Nozzle.
August 04, 2014 08:11PM
The E3D is a no-brainer:

http://e3d-online.com/

If you are in North America, Filastruder and MTW are distributors.....
August 05, 2014 01:04PM
I bought my E3D through Filastuder and he had great speed on shipping the order out when I needed it the most.
Prints my 3mm ABS without issues.
August 06, 2014 12:54PM
Thanks for the replies, I will try the e3d v6.
August 08, 2014 12:21PM
Would the E3D also be recommended for delta's with bowden extruders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2014 12:21PM by Kurzaa.
August 08, 2014 01:35PM
I can't think of a situation where E3D v6 wouldn't fit any situation except for fit/shape/needing dirt cheap price over functionality.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
August 08, 2014 08:28PM
Kurzaa
Would the E3D also be recommended for delta's with bowden extruders.

I run the E3Dv5 on both of my large deltas with (600mm+ long Bowden tubes) with no problems or regrets.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login