Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

solved: Extruder firmware not installing? (wrong chip)

Posted by Dylan 
solved: Extruder firmware not installing? (wrong chip)
March 20, 2010 08:29PM
I put together the extruder board, don't have anything connected to it yet and am trying to put the firmware on it.
I keep getting a timing error.

I am using:
Arduino 17
Sanguino board file
sanguino.name=Sanguino
sanguino.upload.protocol=stk500
sanguino.upload.maximum_size=63488
sanguino.upload.speed=38400
sanguino.bootloader.low_fuses=0xFF
sanguino.bootloader.high_fuses=0xDC
sanguino.bootloader.extended_fuses=0xFD
sanguino.bootloader.path=atmega644p
sanguino.bootloader.file=ATmegaBOOT_644P.hex
sanguino.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
sanguino.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F
sanguino.build.mcu=atmega644p
sanguino.build.f_cpu=16000000L
sanguino.build.core=sanguino
sanguino.verbose=false

Binary sketch size: 19114 bytes (of a 63488 byte maximum)

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I also get various LEDs lit up when it is done running the code and shows the error. LED 6, 7, and debug will light up in random order after I try the reset trick. This only happens every couple of times

any idea on how to fix it?
I would have thought that I need a new hardware section in my boards.txt file because it's another chip than the 644 isn't it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2010 01:10PM by Dylan.
Re: Extruder firmware not installing?
March 20, 2010 11:50PM
The "RepRap Motherboard" uses an embedded Sanguino. The Extruder Controller 2.2 has an embedded Arduino. I think you may have gotten the two bootloaders confused.
March 21, 2010 02:02AM
It tells me to use the bootloader for the 168, but the chip says ATmega8 on it. I keep getting an error when trying to load the bootloader.

avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA8 is 1E 93 07
avrdude: AVR device not responding
 ***failed;  
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
         0xca != 0xff
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA168 is 1E 94 06
avrdude: AVR device not responding
 ***failed;  
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
         0x00 != 0x07
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

I realised I didn't have a bootloader in the chip. I am using a home made parralel to icsp that I have had working before and tested the pinout from the board to the par. pins to make sure the connection works, but I can't get it to load. If I believe my mouser log I got the ATmega168-20AU. I tried all the default boards that have 168 listed and program with par. to no avail.
I'm beginning to question if I have everything soldered properly. I can't see any problems with it though.
March 21, 2010 10:09AM
The chip on my Extruder Controller 2.2 (purchased assembled from MakerBot) says:

Atmel
ATMEGA168
20AU 0919

It is possible you were shipped an old ATMEGA8 by mistake. What else does it say on the chip? I'd expect something like "16AU" which I think is the same package type as the ATMEGA168-20AU.
March 21, 2010 03:40PM
ATMEGA8
16AU 08478

hot smiley They sent me the wrong freaking chip. Not only that they sent it a month later saying it was back ordered. It does appear to have the same pinout, but 16mhz (which I have on there anyway).
Can I use this chip?
Will it have enough memory?
Is there anything I need to do to get it to program the bootloader since I tried the default ATmega8 boards in the Arduino software?

p.s. thanks for the catch, I was wondering about that. I didn't think mouser would screw up that bad, they're usually exellent.
March 22, 2010 12:08PM
I don't think the ATMEGA8 will work in the extruder controller in place of the ATMEGA168. Particularly if you want to use the Heated Build Platform hack which uses A6 for thermistor input. I don't think the ATMEGA8 has an A6 analog input.

Another reason to replace it: ATMEL says the ATMEGA8 is "Not recommended for new designs: Replaced by ATmega8A"
March 22, 2010 01:09PM
I sent them an email asking them to send me the part, but haven't heard back yet. I hope I won't have to buy it again. Obviously this puts be behind even longer. Figures.

thanks for the input
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login