Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prints mirror image

Posted by tobig11 
Prints mirror image
September 23, 2014 11:14AM
I have a prusa i3 printer. I’m using Pronterface with slic3r for printing When I print something, It prints like a mirror image of what I want. On the computer on proterface plater it shows the part that is up to the top and when it prints on the bed that up part is down as if a mirror image . What is causing this?

Ed
Re: Prints mirror image
September 23, 2014 01:22PM
It sounds to me that either your X axis is reversed, or your Y axis is reversed, but not both.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 23, 2014 02:50PM
Most likely your Y axis is reversed - it's a common mistake. When at y=0, the bed should be all the way to the back, and when at y=200, the bed should be all the way to the front. The coordinates do not reflect where the bed is, they reflect where the head is relative to the bed. When the bed is all the way back, the head is at the front edge, or y=0.
September 23, 2014 03:22PM
My y axies homes to the front. This is the only way I could get it to work right. What is the best way to get it to home to the back? What do I have to change in the firmware?
Ed
September 23, 2014 04:43PM
There should be a setting in the firmware to invert the axis. You will also need to move your endstop to the back of the printer.
September 28, 2014 11:36AM
I set up the y axis to home to the back. this doesn't make any diference, it still mirrors everything when I print. Any more ideas? Also I had the x axix homing on the ldft I changed that to the right.
September 28, 2014 06:31PM
Did you change the axis' direction of travel, or just you just change which end it homes to?
September 29, 2014 06:42AM
I changed the endstop from the front of the y axis to the back of the y axis. In order for the y axis to home to the back I had to change ,in configuration h, # define Y_home_ dir -1 to 1. and the Y ENDSTOPS-INVERTING from true to false to invert the logic of the end stops. My endstops are set up work on NC.Then on te board changed the y pins for the Min pins to the Max pins.
September 29, 2014 06:47AM
tobig11
I set up the y axis to home to the back. this doesn't make any diference, it still mirrors everything when I print. Any more ideas? Also I had the x axix homing on the ldft I changed that to the right.

But why did you change the X-axis homing as well?
September 29, 2014 07:05AM
You changed the y axis to home high, but it still travels the same direction when printing. You need to have the axis home low with the endstop in its new position.
September 29, 2014 10:34AM
In pronterface the y axis with plus goes to the back. In the frimware when the, y home dir -1 min, it would only home to the front to the front. I also change the, y min endstop inverting to false, or the endstop would not stop the table. My endstops are setup using NC and Com pins. On the board NC goes to S and COM goes -.
I changed the x axis, to the right, because the company I got the kit from said the x axix is suppose to be on the right as you fce the printer.
If the homing is suppose to be set at, MIN not MAX, how do you get it to home to the back using MIN in the frimware
September 29, 2014 10:51AM
tobig11
In pronterface the y axis with plus goes to the back. In the frimware when the, y home dir -1 min, it would only home to the front to the front. I also change the, y min endstop inverting to false, or the endstop would not stop the table. My endstops are setup using NC and Com pins. On the board NC goes to S and COM goes -.
I changed the x axis, to the right, because the company I got the kit from said the x axix is suppose to be on the right as you fce the printer.
If the homing is suppose to be set at, MIN not MAX, how do you get it to home to the back using MIN in the frimware

Do not change too many things every time you want to try somethingb but keep it simple to avoid confusion.

In configuration you should see this which probably fits your printer as well:

Axes direction:

#define INVERT_X_DIR false // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true
#define INVERT_Y_DIR true // for Mendel set to true, for Orca set to false
#define INVERT_Z_DIR false // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true

Homing definition:
// ENDSTOP SETTINGS:
// Sets direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR 1

set x/y to min and x-endstop to your left, z to max and use the pins specified for min/max in pins.h
September 29, 2014 01:58PM
Yes - Justcurious has provided the information. The direction of travel of the Y axis and the home position are two separate settings in the firmware.

Given that you had it set up backwards, you needed to invert the axis using the INVERT_Y_AXIS setting, toggling it from its present condition. Once you invert the axis, you have basically reversed MIN and MAX positions. So then you need to either 1) move the endstop to the opposite end of the axis without making any other changes to the firmware, or 2) leave the endstop at its present location, but change the Y_HOME_DIR to be MAX (1). Most people prefer to have their home position at 0, so I suggested that you would need to do option 1 and move your endstop to the rear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2014 01:59PM by jbernardis.
September 29, 2014 02:25PM
I will check this out tomorrow, I don't have any time to do it today. I will then get back to you
Question; If you set the z to max woun't it home to the top instead of the bed? what do you meam, specified for min/max in pins h. is that located in configg. h?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2014 02:41PM by tobig11.
September 29, 2014 03:56PM
tobig11
I will check this out tomorrow, I don't have any time to do it today. I will then get back to you
Question; If you set the z to max woun't it home to the top instead of the bed? what do you meam, specified for min/max in pins h. is that located in configg. h?

That is correct, homing at zmax will be at the top and you correct your "0-position" by telling Fw or EEprom your Z-max home position (max Z size). That is more comfortable than trying to make your home position swirtch correlate physical to your bed.
All pins for your arduino are defined in a file compiled with arduino "pins.h" just like config.h needs to be defined with your motherboard. Enter and find your motherboard if you need to change.
September 30, 2014 07:00AM
If you home the z axis to the top, what stops the extuder from colliding with the bed when you go to print?
September 30, 2014 07:13AM
You, very carefully, configure the firmware so that it knows the correction coordinate for Z_MAX, so that Z0 is right above the bed.
September 30, 2014 12:20PM
Did not change the z axis, but changed other. It prints the rightway now.
Thank you Ed
October 01, 2014 08:05AM
i was skimming the post and came to the conclusion of setting the end stop from the MIN location and put it into the MAX location, therefore it will print in the right orientation.
worked for me.
October 02, 2014 06:28AM
I tried the MIN To MAX. It would not work for me.
October 05, 2014 11:39PM
If it's mechanically hard to move your Y end stop, you could flip the X endstop instead if that's easier. That way it will be mirrored in both X and Y, which is equivalent to a 180 degree rotation. Parts will come out right; they'll just be sitting in the printer in a different orientation.
October 06, 2014 12:48PM
You don't need to move endstops at all. Invert the axis, invert the homing direction, and connect the endstop to the max pins, and you fix the problem without touching the machine.
October 09, 2014 11:49PM
Repetier new update allows you to mirror image the print.
If your prints are already being mirrored. Just mirror them back into right orientation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login