Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First Print Attempt

Posted by elwood127 
First Print Attempt
October 17, 2014 08:06PM
Hey all, I ran one of the printer parts that came with the cd. First thing, how do I setup to print in the middle of the bed? Started printing in front right corner. Fan was hitting screw. Also, it didn't lay down any material for the first few passes. Can I change the rate of extruder feed? Then as the leading edge was being built up it kept trying to push through the material it had laid down. Kind of like it wasn't moving up consistantly. Finally had to kill it to keep the nozzle from being banged around. One other thing, my extruder temp kept changing. I loaded Repetier .09 so that I could compare apples to apples with my instruction manual. Will be loading 1.0.5 tonight. The pics show the build and the printer so you have a better idea. Thanks, Brian.
Attachments:
open | download - DSC02658.JPG (165.6 KB)
open | download - DSC02659.JPG (139.3 KB)
open | download - DSC02660.JPG (218.8 KB)
Re: First Print Attempt
October 17, 2014 09:01PM
Did this printer came assembled? Did you check marlin configuration? Looks like you have a lot of work to do calibrating your printer before you can print.
October 17, 2014 11:29PM
This was a kit from Aurora. The Z-605. I've searched every where for a manual or documentation for using Repetier and have found nothing. Kit construction and software manual are a joke. It didn't even explain how to set up xy and z stops much less extruder height ajustments. software guide says load this like that and print. What is Marlin? And do you have any suggestions on setup to print in the middle of the bed? I ASSume that it involves the xy Min/ Max settings but there is no "Help" in Repetier to look these things up. I hope that other firmwares are better documented than Repetier. If not I'm amazed that anyone is printing. Thanks, Brian.
October 18, 2014 03:25AM
elwood127
This was a kit from Aurora. The Z-605. I've searched every where for a manual or documentation for using Repetier and have found nothing. Kit construction and software manual are a joke. It didn't even explain how to set up xy and z stops much less extruder height ajustments. software guide says load this like that and print. What is Marlin? And do you have any suggestions on setup to print in the middle of the bed? I ASSume that it involves the xy Min/ Max settings but there is no "Help" in Repetier to look these things up. I hope that other firmwares are better documented than Repetier. If not I'm amazed that anyone is printing. Thanks, Brian.

Repetier is well documented on the repetier web site.

You don't actually say what firmware is loaded onto your electronics board and that is what needs calibrating?

Repetier-Host also needs some setup so that it knows what type of printer you have and its size.

In repetier host click on the config drop down and select Printer Settings and make sure that is setup correctly for your printer.
October 18, 2014 02:50PM
elwood127
This was a kit from Aurora. The Z-605.
I can't find a website for Aurora or anything about the Z605 other than places selling it. Luckily, nothing on it seems to be too different from standard reprap designs, so all the documentation you need will exist, you'll just need to hunt it down.

I've searched every where for a manual or documentation for using Repetier and have found nothing.

Repetier.com

Kit construction and software manual are a joke. It didn't even explain how to set up xy and z stops much less extruder height ajustments. software guide says load this like that and print. What is Marlin?
Marlin is one of the popular reprap firmwares. It may be installed on your electronics. Repetier is another common one, although I have no experience with it, and Sprinter and Teacup are other possibilities though they are less popular. You can determine which is in use by looking at the communication you get from the printer just after connecting. I'm not sure how Repetier host displays that, but it should be there somewhere. Failing that, connect to it using the arduino IDE's serial monitor or you could try pronterface, which is another host software.

And do you have any suggestions on setup to print in the middle of the bed? I ASSume that it involves the xy Min/ Max settings but there is no "Help" in Repetier to look these things up.

Thats a function of the slicer, not the host software. I believe Repetier host comes bundled with slic3r by default, so find and open that, go into print settings, and adjust the print center.

I hope that other firmwares are better documented than Repetier. If not I'm amazed that anyone is printing. Thanks, Brian.

Most things in reprap are well documented, but your kit comes from a supplier who don't even seem to have their own website, so you're going to have to do more legwork than if you'd bought, say, a mendel90.
October 19, 2014 09:02PM
My advise is as follow:
Your printer is basically a prusa i3, so sit down and watch all videos describing how to assembled and how to calibrated it, also download a marlin firmware for prusa i3 and install it in your board that looks to be a Melzi. This will "kinda" put you close to the printer settings but you will still have to tweak it to have it perfect.
Then understand how to configure your printer with repetier host or any other slicer of your choice. Once you have done that, you will be able to print beautiful stuff.
Everyone that decides to go the reprap way understand that the road to perfection is long and hard, long nights and bunch of failures before the success arrives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2014 09:03PM by ggherbaz.
October 20, 2014 12:25AM
Thanks to everyone for your help. I went into Slicer props and was able to get a better setup. I also figured out like a dumb%#* that you need to check nozzle height at all four corners. This helped with the slight tilt I had on my second attempt (see photo). It's very exciting getting closer to good results. I do 3d cad for fun and have many projects I can build now. Thanks again for the tips. I'm sure you haven't heard the last of me. Brian.
Attachments:
open | download - DSC02664.JPG (87.9 KB)
January 11, 2015 10:58AM
Hello,

i have the same Printer, and i am very satisfied
My question, who can i find updates for my printer?
Have you a howto for backup the config from the controller? (arduino)

regards
hans
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login