Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best Software for Prusa i3?

Posted by Virtuelx 
Best Software for Prusa i3?
October 26, 2014 06:55AM
Hi,

I am currently using Pronterface for my Prusa i3, but I am not quite happy with it. There are several issues with it:
- No control over extruder fan
- Bad/No Profil managment for Filament settings(Always have to manually set extruder and bed temperature)
- No way to rotate objects in all dimension with slic3r(?)
- Generated gcode somehow always automatically sets extruder temperature to 200(?!)
- During connection problems with the printer, software returns errors but continues to work through the gcode which makes the "Recover"-function useless

Is there any better software?
Should I be able to use every software or is the software only compatible to certain printers?

Thanks & greetings,
Virtuelx
Re: Best Software for Prusa i3?
October 26, 2014 07:12AM
Virtuelx
Hi,

I am currently using Pronterface for my Prusa i3, but I am not quite happy with it. There are several issues with it:
- No control over extruder fan
- Bad/No Profil managment for Filament settings(Always have to manually set extruder and bed temperature)
- No way to rotate objects in all dimension with slic3r(?)
- Generated gcode somehow always automatically sets extruder temperature to 200(?!)
- During connection problems with the printer, software returns errors but continues to work through the gcode which makes the "Recover"-function useless

Is there any better software?
Should I be able to use every software or is the software only compatible to certain printers?

Thanks & greetings,
Virtuelx

Try Repetier Host www.repetier.com
October 26, 2014 10:49AM
I too prefer Repetier to Pronterface, I like the control in Repetier much better smiling smiley
I like the simple interface as well smiling smiley

Definately check it out. smiling smiley

I learned with Repetier, so that may account for some bias, but I do like it better. smiling smiley
October 27, 2014 03:54AM
I have tried Cura, Pronterface, and Repetier host.
Repetier host is the most user friendly out of all of them.

I liked the fact it could use the Cura, Steignforge, and Slic3r slicing options.
I like the fact you could control the fan, and it has informational heat graphs and the movement controls are well designed.
I like that you can view in easy mode or can view the code prompts in real time.
I like how you can flip your item in all axis (althought you need to provide reference numbers ie. Rotate y-axis 180... but i thought it was easier than cura software.)
Repetier using Slic3r is a better print quality (for me) than cura or even repetier using cura slicing.
Although it was easier to set-up slic3r setting.
October 27, 2014 05:32PM
dougal1957
Try Repetier Host www.repetier.com

Thanks!
I checked it out and it is way better than Pronterface and easy to get into it.
Looks like it deals with all the bulletpoints I listed above.
October 27, 2014 07:30PM
You can also try out octoprint. I have mine setup to use a Raspberry Pi running octopi but with that you have to slice externally unless you install cura then upload the gcode. I use repetier when directly connected to a PC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login