Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

heater resistor options

Posted by t0bb 
heater resistor options
October 29, 2014 01:58PM
Hi,

My heater resistor is dead once again. It is the second time in the last two months.
It wouldn't be much of a trouble but we have different standards in my country so I cannot find the one that will suit the heater block. Either it is too small or to weak or something else...

Luckily I still have one spare left, but I cannot order resistor from lulzbot every time it goes off. The shipping is just not worth it.

4.7Ohm/7watts

Any ideas?

thanks
Re: heater resistor options
October 29, 2014 03:03PM
Switch to a heater cartridge. Something like this:
[e3d-online.com]
October 29, 2014 05:15PM
I cement resistors into J-heads with exhaust putty and have never known one to fail, ever. The only reason they fail is a poor thermal connection to the heater block allowing them to run hotter than the rest of the hot end.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 29, 2014 05:23PM
Andrew Smith
Switch to a heater cartridge. Something like this:
[e3d-online.com]

Thanks.
What do I need to keep in mind regarding electric current voltage etc..?
October 29, 2014 05:57PM
The standard reprap heater is 12V/40W. The resistance will be lower than your resistor, so you might want to adjust the PWM max in firmware so that you don't run it at full power, and you'll probably need to retune your PID settings.

Or do as nophead says and install it the resistor you have so that it gets good thermal contact, the only advantage of the cartridge heater is that its easier to get good contact than with an enamel resistor.
October 31, 2014 05:34AM
nophead
I cement resistors into J-heads with exhaust putty and have never known one to fail, ever. The only reason they fail is a poor thermal connection to the heater block allowing them to run hotter than the rest of the hot end.

Thanks,

I was wondering about the heater block not transferring the heat properly.. but that's a design issue I guess

Could you elaborate on cementing, and what is an exhaust putty?
October 31, 2014 05:44AM
Andrew Smith
The standard reprap heater is 12V/40W. The resistance will be lower than your resistor, so you might want to adjust the PWM max in firmware so that you don't run it at full power, and you'll probably need to retune your PID settings.

Or do as nophead says and install it the resistor you have so that it gets good thermal contact, the only advantage of the cartridge heater is that its easier to get good contact than with an enamel resistor.

Thank you,

My budaschnozzle comes with a heat resistor 4.7 Ohm 7W- [www.digikey.com]

How would the change apply then?
October 31, 2014 08:43AM
This is exhaust putty: [www.ebay.co.uk]

It quickly dries to a crumbly biscuit texture. You need to heat it above 200C to cure it and it then becomes rock hard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2014 08:47AM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login