Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

heated bed quit. Board LED doesn't come on

Posted by AjaxOfTheRockies 
heated bed quit. Board LED doesn't come on
November 16, 2014 12:24PM
My printer has been running flawlessly for a while now, but today the bed won't heat up. The red LED on the RAMPS (1.4) board doesn't come on when I click the bed-heat button in Pronterface, or if I manually send M190 S65 through the 'send' box in Pronterface.

Can someone here help me with how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

- a -
Re: heated bed quit. Board LED doesn't come on
November 16, 2014 03:47PM
You've probably blown the D8 mosfet or burned out one of the relevant traces. Or, its a wiring problem and the 11A terminals are no longer connected.
November 16, 2014 03:58PM
would that disable the red LED on the board? I would think that would come on regardless of status of the MOSFET
November 16, 2014 04:47PM
Look at the schematic. The LED is in parallel with the load, so it lights when the mosfet is on.
November 16, 2014 05:34PM
that would make sense, then. I hadn't seen the schematic. Now that I looked it up, I see what you're saying. I'll change out the MOSFET and see if that fixes my problem.

Thanks for your info!

- a -
November 16, 2014 11:54PM
MOSFET wasn't the problem. one of the wires from the bed thermistor broke and the board was reading zero. Found it when I changed out Q3 and it worked...for a bit. Then quit again. no LED, no heat. I happened this time to notice the zero in pronterface in the B: reading and put my meter on the plug end; it read open. I traced it about 6 inches to a break inside the insulation. After I spliced it back all is well now.

Just FYI,

- a -
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login