Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ramps 1.4 power ?

Posted by billyp. 
ramps 1.4 power ?
November 26, 2014 03:46PM
Have a lepa n500-sa power supply lying around and wanted to use to power device,
+12v rated 34A
is this OK for the power supply, most articles say 500w but the amps are lower.

Thank you!
Hope I am in the right section
Re: ramps 1.4 power ?
November 26, 2014 08:31PM
For Ramps, you can usually get away with 5 or 6 amps.
The board cannot handle passing more than 20 amps (including heated bed), and I would say even that is pushing it.

However, the board will only use what it needs, so your power supply should work just fine. It's more than enough power.
November 26, 2014 10:20PM
Thank you, for the help
January 29, 2015 06:55PM
hey billy p i have a question did the lepa n500 work out for you and if it did can you show me a picture of the way you wired. It im having issues i wired mines to a ramps 1.4 everything works but the hotend wont heat past 110 degrees i even tried changing pid setting samething and pid auto tune fails everytime so maybe i dont have enough current running im not sure what it is, im using a prusa i3 mega 2560 and ramps thank you.
January 29, 2015 10:07PM
d.c80
the hotend wont heat past 110 degrees

You may have a 24 volt hot end, or a faulty MOSFET or thermistor. Will the hot end melt filament? If so, the thermistor is reporting the incorrect temperature. You can also test the hot end heater by connecting it directly to 12 volts and ground and (closely!) watching the temperature. Both components (thermistor or hot end heater) are plentiful and cheap, as are MOSFETs.

-David

Find me online at:
Thingiverse
Instructables.com
LinkedIn
Facebook

Check out my FolgerTech Prusa i3 (plexi) at MindRealm.net
February 05, 2015 06:30PM
okay thanks for your reply so much sorry it took awhile to get back, im still fighting with this thing also went on ebay and the j head hot end is suppose to be 12volt, the thermistor i just replaced and i have a back up both honeywell and i cant melt filament at all and im testing the heater now. Its heating very slow ten mintues only to a hundred two degrees also installed a new ramps board must be the heater ill let you know the results thank you.
It must be the heater after 20 min got to 105 and went down to 104 after two minutes i only have one thick yellow and one black wire hooked to it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2015 06:38PM by d.c80.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login