Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Very cheap PLA on eBay UK

Posted by plankton 
Very cheap PLA on eBay UK
November 30, 2014 04:21PM
Has anybody tried PLA from this seller on eBay UK, he's half the price of any others?

PLA on eBay UK

At that price I'm almost tempted to try, but my printer's only been printing for 1 week, it's far too early to risk adding potentially poor quality filament into the equation.
Re: Very cheap PLA on eBay UK
November 30, 2014 05:57PM
The stated spec looks good but the spool internal diameter looks too small from 3mm PLA filament. It can be hard to unwind and possibly break. Other companies have moved away from those to larger diameter thinner spools.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2014 08:35AM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
December 01, 2014 08:33AM
Please don't buy cheap no-brand filament. I learnt why the hard way. Stay clear it will potentially damage your parts and cost you money.
December 02, 2014 04:06AM
If I were in the UK I would buy a roll to try it at that price.
December 02, 2014 05:48AM
Sadly they don't send to outside of the UK.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
December 02, 2014 10:30AM
It seems rather strange given that the seller is based in China.
December 02, 2014 05:16PM
Ralph.Hilton

The listing states the seller is based in the UK (I'd take that with a grain of salt).

Interestingly, they also list a kilogram of 1.75mm PLA for the higher price of GBP £19.99. Maybe they're having trouble shifting the 3mm stock. [www.ebay.co.uk]

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
December 02, 2014 05:28PM
1.75mm is longer for the same weight, so takes more machine time, so is generally more expensive.

December 02, 2014 05:58PM
nophead
1.75mm is longer for the same weight, so takes more machine time, so is generally more expensive.

Marginally, yes. In this case, the 1.75mm is 2.5 times the price of the 3mm.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
December 03, 2014 05:05AM
Looks like a German seller?

December 03, 2014 07:35AM
I have just bought 3 reels of 1.75mm ABS, white/green/orange for 23.97 GBP in total. 2 day delivery promised.
Keep watching this space.
December 03, 2014 07:54AM
3dkarma
nophead

Well it is three times longer so I would expect three times the machine time. Since plastic granules are much cheaper than filament I assume most of the cost is processing. Possibly 1.75 can be run a bit faster as it will cool faster.

December 03, 2014 11:26AM
nophead
3dkarma
nophead

Well it is three times longer so I would expect three times the machine time. Since plastic granules are much cheaper than filament I assume most of the cost is processing. Possibly 1.75 can be run a bit faster as it will cool faster.

The diameter doesn't account for such a significant price difference. A quick poll of other random suppliers:

Faberdashery: 1.35x
3dFilaprint.com: 1x
printme3d.com: 1x

Looking further, the ebay shop charges either £7.99 or £19.99 for 3mm PLA depending on colour, white and black being the most expensive (and generally the most popular sellers). It looks very much like they're having trouble shifting some colours.

December 05, 2014 01:33PM
3dkarma
Ralph.Hilton

The listing states the seller is based in the UK (I'd take that with a grain of salt).

Interestingly, they also list a kilogram of 1.75mm PLA for the higher price of GBP £19.99. Maybe they're having trouble shifting the 3mm stock. [www.ebay.co.uk]

If you click on the seller's name on ebay then you get this page which states
"Based in China, allesbest-de has been an eBay member since 06 Aug, 2012"
[www.ebay.co.uk]
The item location is given as UK. If Chinese sellers obtain warehouse space in EU then they can have the full profit rather than most of the profit going to an EU (or wherever) reseller.
December 10, 2014 09:12AM
dave3d
I have just bought 3 reels of 1.75mm ABS, white/green/orange for 23.97 GBP in total. 2 day delivery promised.
Keep watching this space.

Have you had any luck with it? I'd be interested in 1.75mmPLA at that price!
December 10, 2014 03:13PM
mrmillsy wrote:
Have you had any luck with it? I'd be interested in 1.75mmPLA at that price!

I am away. I don't have it yet. I will do a test cube later on this week once I receive it.
December 12, 2014 08:57AM
I ordered 3 spools of 1.75mm ABS in white/orange and green. Took 4 days delivery, not 2 days, but over weekend. Well packaged in silver foil bag.
I printed a couple of test cubes at 230 deg C, 0.35 nozzle and 0.2 layer height.
It extrudes very well (the test cube was done with my old slicer settings on an SD card and was not optimised. As an experiment, I had set the layer change on the external perimeter, hence the lumps.)

Free Image Hosting at imageshack.com

For the money, 23.97 GBP, it is very good value. They even threw in a free iphone case. Thanks Plankton.
It is a pity they don't do more colours in 1.75 ABS. Can't comment on the PLA as I haven't tried it.
December 12, 2014 03:29PM
Well it is three times longer so I would expect three times the machine time.
Commercial extruders don't run at a maximum speed, they are more volume controlled. A small part extrudes faster than a large part. At least thats my experience with pvc extruders.
December 13, 2014 09:00PM
I think that is only true making large things like window frames. When making filament I think the limitation is the cooling and spooling system, not the rate the extruder can pump it out.

December 16, 2014 08:38AM
dave3d
I ordered 3 spools of 1.75mm ABS in white/orange and green. Took 4 days delivery, not 2 days, but over weekend. Well packaged in silver foil bag.
I printed a couple of test cubes at 230 deg C, 0.35 nozzle and 0.2 layer height.
It extrudes very well (the test cube was done with my old slicer settings on an SD card and was not optimised. As an experiment, I had set the layer change on the external perimeter, hence the lumps.)

Free Image Hosting at imageshack.com

For the money, 23.97 GBP, it is very good value. They even threw in a free iphone case. Thanks Plankton.
It is a pity they don't do more colours in 1.75 ABS. Can't comment on the PLA as I haven't tried it.

Well now. That does look excellent, I might have to go for some myself.

I don't have any natural or green yet, I guess here is my chance!
December 16, 2014 08:42AM
Humm, actually, I didn't notice I was looking at the 3mm, looks like he's run out of cheap 1.75mm
December 16, 2014 12:03PM
I have a second order for more 2 spools of 1.75mm ABS on the way. Can't go wrong at that price.
December 17, 2014 09:48AM
Got the second delivery after 4 days. Sticker on the last 2 spools (fluorescent yellow & natural) saying made in china, which was not on the others. Quality looks very good.
I have printed a lot of things with the green ABS. It extrudes really well. Here is a hobbing tool I have just made:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login