Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Minimum Working area for a RepStrap.

Posted by KeithSloan 
Minimum Working area for a RepStrap.
May 10, 2010 11:49AM
Okay if one has a CNC machine and you want to adapt it to create Reprap Darwin parts by making an extruder for it. What is the minimum working area that CNC machine needs to be able to make all the parts for Darwin? I am most concern about height i.e. z-axis
actually, a reprap can only be produced by another reprap. if you do this, it will be a repstrap (I think).smiling smiley
Re: Minimum Working area for a RepStrap.
May 10, 2010 09:34PM
hintss, you're correct on definitions, but you didn't answer Keith's question,

" The X carriage (upper and lower) is the largest single parts of Mendel. It's ruffly 98 mm by 60 mm (so big you can't print it with a raft on Makrbot). That's part of the reason that warping is such an issue. "
[forums.reprap.org]

What kind of CNC machine are you using? A Taig Mill?

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
May 10, 2010 10:27PM
I am fairly sure there are no parts taller than 10 cm... =)
May 11, 2010 11:20AM
"the largest single parts of Mendel. It's ruffly 98 mm by 60 mm"

But what about z-axis? I have heard a figure of 35mm is that correct?
May 11, 2010 11:28AM
KeithSloan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "the largest single parts of Mendel. It's ruffly
> 98 mm by 60 mm"
>
> But what about z-axis? I have heard a figure of
> 35mm is that correct?

That sounds about right.

Worst case, you could get by with less -- tweak the models and print parts in slices (just avoid cutting holes laterally); bond them with epoxy (if necessary) after printing to create a first generation part. Use the machine build from these parts to print out the full unlayered parts, if you're concerned about durability, accuracy, or take the purist point of view.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login