Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firmware compatible with old Mendel

Posted by rankbajin 
Firmware compatible with old Mendel
January 18, 2015 12:18PM
Hi ,

I built my mendel a few years ago (2011) and it is currently using the Tonokip firmware on single board electronics.
Recently I rebuilt the laptop running the software and lost all my settings for Skeinforge so I decided that this would be a good time to move to Slic3r.

The problem I have is that Slic3r seems to be trying to move the Z axis much faster than my printer firmware can cope with , does anyone have a printer as old as this which is using a newer/non-deprecated version of software ?

thanks
rb
Re: Firmware compatible with old Mendel
January 18, 2015 07:46PM
I have a 2011 Prusa with Gen6 electronics and Marlin firmware.
Using Repetier with Slic3r,

I don't see where I can change the speed for the Z axis, but I'm not having a problem. Is there a newer version of your firmware avail that could handle it? What electronics are you using?
Re: Firmware compatible with old Mendel
January 19, 2015 04:11AM
Hi Grog,

The electronics is RAMPS 1.3

The Tonokip firmware was deprecated and as far as I understand it this has been replaced by Sprinter.
I had a look through the Sprinter code yesterday and it seems that there is built in support for the RAMPS 1.3 electronics so I can probably move to that ok , I assume that it will require a bit of tweaking again to get things running so I am making sure that I understand the code before I go blindly installing it as I am sure that I don't have a copy of the updated Tonokip firmware which is in my Arduino.

The problem I was having with my printer was that although the X and Y settings seemed to be fine and the extruder speed appears good, when I try to print I do not see the Z axis move at all . It makes a noise but doesn't rise, this then has the obvious effects you would imagine if you try to continue extruding on top of already printed layers.
Some investigation and it seems that the Slic3r software sets speeds using F5000 and relies on the firmware to limit the speed of each axis to its maximum rate. Unfortunately the Tonokip firmware does not appear to have this limit and instead will rely on the slicing software to set the correct speeds for travel.

Trying to turn the Z axis motor too fast apparently means that it doesn't turn at all :-)

thanks for the reply.
rb
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login