Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Three pin mechanical endstops

Posted by Ben.folkes 
Three pin mechanical endstops
January 18, 2015 07:04PM
I've just recently purchased a set of three pin mechanical endstop switches and I've just wired them up to my ramps 1.4 board. If I'm correct I've wired them to the pins labelled x y z where I've connected signal to the top pin, ground to the middle and vcc to the bottom. I'm running sprinter on printerface and when I'm connected the leds on the endstops never light and they make no difference when I'm jogging or printing. Please could someone advise what might be wrong?
Thank you very much.
Ben
Re: Three pin mechanical endstops
January 18, 2015 11:02PM
Could you post a picture? Usually the pins on the endstop are labelled 1) 5volts or VCC or V or +, 2) G, Gnd, or -, and 3) S or Signal.

Looking at this picture of the RAMPS, the endstop connectors are on the upper left. The top row of pins is the signal, the center row is the ground, the bottom row is the positive voltage. You need to connect like pins together.

Moving from left to right, the columns of pins are X Min, X Max, Y Min, Y Max, Z Min, and Z max.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2015 11:58PM by jbernardis.
January 18, 2015 11:10PM
I can't get a picture of them right now but I'll post one asap. I've done exactly that though but I can see there is an led on the endstop but it never comes on when pressed. Do I need to change any settings in the sprinter config file? Thanks for the reply.
January 19, 2015 03:10PM
No.

The bottom (+) pins in the end stop area of the RAMPS board are connected to the 5 volt VCC connection to the Arduino and the middle pin, the middle (-) pins are connected to the GND bus, and the top (S) pins are connected to the digital inputs on the Arduino as below:

X-MIN: pin D3
X-MAX: pin D2
Y-MIN: pin D14
Y-MAX: pin D15
Z-MIN: pin D18
Z-MAX: pin D19

These pins are configured in Marlin (in pins.h) but the 5V and GND are hardware-connected and are not configurable.

I would disconnect the switch-end of the end stop wiring and check for voltage between the 5V and GND pins in the connector. If there is no voltage when the Arduino is on, the RAMPS board is probably damaged.

-David

Find me online at:
Thingiverse
Instructables.com
LinkedIn
Facebook

Check out my FolgerTech Prusa i3 (plexi) at MindRealm.net
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login