Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fan switches on with heated bed (ramps 1.4 setup)

Posted by beentheunseen 
Fan switches on with heated bed (ramps 1.4 setup)
January 20, 2015 06:12PM
Hi all,

I have a small but annoying problem with my prusa setup, running ramps 1.4. I have a small cooling fan attached to the x carriage, the pwm cable of which I have connected to pin 9. It's working perfectly, and I can control the speed of the fan with g-code commands as expected. However, for some reason whenever the heated bed power switches on, the fan also starts up at low speed (about 10% power or so). It's still completely controllable while this is going on (ie, I can dial it up to say 20% and it will respond). However, It will refuse to switch back down to zero until power is no longer flowing to the heated bed.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? It's a bit annoying, as quite often I don't want the fan running at all early in prints to prevent warping. I have tried moving the fan to other pins on the arduino, and have tried other fans, but the problem still occurs...
Re: Fan switches on with heated bed (ramps 1.4 setup)
January 20, 2015 09:18PM
Do you mean that your fan is connected to D9 + and -? Also, where is your heated bed connected?

-David

Find me online at:
Thingiverse
Instructables.com
LinkedIn
Facebook

Check out my FolgerTech Prusa i3 (plexi) at MindRealm.net
January 21, 2015 05:16AM
The fan is a 4-connection PWM controllable type. I have connected PWM to pin D9, positive to +12V, and negative to ground. The heated bed is connected to D8 via a MOSFET as per the standard RAMPS 1.4 setup. I'm running the latest version of Marlin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2015 05:23AM by beentheunseen.
January 21, 2015 07:19AM
Hi,
You should just connect the + and - wires to the D9 pins, and not use the PWM wires. To control the speed of the fan, your ramps just send more or less current to the fan, and do not use the PWM feedback (also a simple two wires works too).
January 21, 2015 08:44AM
Agreed. The D9 outputs are already PWM controlled. The positive terminal is constant 12 volts and the negative terminal is PWM through the MOSFET. smiling smiley

-David

Find me online at:
Thingiverse
Instructables.com
LinkedIn
Facebook

Check out my FolgerTech Prusa i3 (plexi) at MindRealm.net
January 21, 2015 11:09AM
Oooh, I had connected the fans PWM directly to arduino pin 9, skipping the mosfet. I will try connecting +/- to the D9 screw terminal on the ramps instead. When you say the D9 outputs are already PWM controlled, does that mean that the MOSFET somehow converts the PWM signal to a continuous voltage with varying current limit?
January 21, 2015 11:11AM
D9+- are controled by the software, you don't need the PWM cable connected.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2015 11:11AM by Zavashier.

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
May 07, 2016 11:58AM
Hello,
I've had the same problem, and it turns out the mosfets near D8 and D9 we're touching, I've bent them a little so they don't touch and the problem was solved. Hope is helps somebody as well.
Best regards,
ahito
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login