Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2nd ramps board this week

Posted by Ben.folkes 
2nd ramps board this week
January 23, 2015 06:24PM
Hi, I've just got my reprap up and running this week and after one day the Mosfet for the heatbed has got extremely hot and burnt out and I've just bought a new board and the exact same thing has happened. Could it be that the top of Mosfets have contacted with each other or is there a problem with my heatbed?
Thanks
Ben
Re: 2nd ramps board this week
January 23, 2015 09:00PM
Could this be that I need to get a heat sink for this mosfet?
January 23, 2015 09:48PM
Another thing is that my local shop only has tip42 transistors. Would these be able to replace the heatbed mosfet?
Thanks
January 23, 2015 11:04PM
No I am pretty sure a TIP42 is not mosfet. Absolutely you need a heatsync and possibly a fan to blow on the heatsync.

Search the forum for mosfet as there have been suggestions for better replacement #'s than the originals so they can withstand more current.
January 23, 2015 11:11PM
Don't know if you are in the U.S. but here is one that was suggested on a 3D forum (not this forum) [www.mouser.com] it shows 2 different ones but they are just from different makers.
January 23, 2015 11:21PM
Repalce it with a IRLB8743PBF
Use a heatsink on it.

Steve
January 24, 2015 10:25AM
Thanks, I've just ordered a new mosfet and heatsink. I might have to get a new ramps as I made a mess with the soldering iron when removing the old one so I don't know if the terminals will be ok. Could there be a short in my heatbed or will it just be cheap mosfets?
January 24, 2015 01:26PM
Ben.folkes
Thanks, I've just ordered a new mosfet and heatsink. I might have to get a new ramps as I made a mess with the soldering iron when removing the old one so I don't know if the terminals will be ok. Could there be a short in my heatbed or will it just be cheap mosfets?

Probably cheap mosfets. I have found some RAMPS are better than others when buying from China suppliers.
And yes they can be hard to de-solder/remove.

Measure the resistance of the heatbed, it should be around 1.2 ohms

Steve
January 24, 2015 02:46PM
Perhaps your 10KW or shorted heater
is drawing too much current for the MOSFET to handle?

confused smiley
January 24, 2015 03:39PM
How would I use a multimeter to check this?
January 24, 2015 03:48PM
And should I replace the other 2?
January 24, 2015 06:50PM
Ben.folkes
How would I use a multimeter to check this?

Undo the leads off D8 and measure across them with the multimeter set to ohms (on a low setting).
As to changing the mosfets on the old RAMPS, sure I think it's worth a try, though from experience they are hard to remove cleanly.

Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login