Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fan Problem, D9 not working [Prusa i3 Rework]

Posted by Ano 
Ano
Fan Problem, D9 not working [Prusa i3 Rework]
January 30, 2015 07:23PM
Hi @ all,

i got a little problem with my fan on the RAMPS 1.4 connected to D9. With pronterface sending M106 S250 and M107 (on and off) it doesn't do anything. I managed to turn it on once, don't ask how, no idea. Now it's always on.
I have checked to have the board N°33.
#ifndef MOTHERBOARD
  #define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_13_EFB
#endif

Am I missing some config or something?

/Edit: Do you know this thing, where you find an answer just the minute you click on "new thread"?
I plugged it into the extruder fan connection, not D9:
So it's not D9 and it is always on.

Is there a possibility to just power it when needed? Only when the hotend is hot? Doing a lot of calibration and the always on fan is a bit loud^^

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 07:27PM by Ano.

Prusa i3 Rework (from Replikeo.com) & original Prusa i3 MK2 (from shop.prusa3d.com) << the MK2 definitely is worth the higher cost!
Print Troubleshooting Guide // Visual troubleshooting guide
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (35.5 KB)
Re: Fan Problem, D9 not working [Prusa i3 Rework]
January 30, 2015 09:00PM
The D9 output is best suited for what you're wanting. Do you have a volt meter to check a few things... I can guide you. smiling smiley

-David

Find me online at:
Thingiverse
Instructables.com
LinkedIn
Facebook

Check out my FolgerTech Prusa i3 (plexi) at MindRealm.net
Ano
February 01, 2015 06:55AM
Heay, yeah, everything here, multimeter, soldering iron, oszilloskop, tool kit. I got my first print running, went pretty good so far. But the fan was on all the time.
What I would like is, the fan to be active while the preheating begins until after the print, when the hotend is cooled down to about 45°C. So that it stops then to
not always be that loud.

Did my second print and in fact: it's not that bad with always on fan. I thought it will destract me, but when the printer is not running, I'll always switch it off anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2015 08:48AM by Ano.

Prusa i3 Rework (from Replikeo.com) & original Prusa i3 MK2 (from shop.prusa3d.com) << the MK2 definitely is worth the higher cost!
February 05, 2015 08:37AM
Ano
Heay, yeah, everything here, multimeter, soldering iron, oszilloskop, tool kit. I got my first print running, went pretty good so far. But the fan was on all the time.
What I would like is, the fan to be active while the preheating begins until after the print, when the hotend is cooled down to about 45°C. So that it stops then to
not always be that loud.

Did my second print and in fact: it's not that bad with always on fan. I thought it will destract me, but when the printer is not running, I'll always switch it off anyway.

You say you can turn it on with M106 S255? I think M107 may not be used any longer as I've read about using M106 S0 instead. The "extruder fan" pins are wired directly to the input and can not be controlled.

Please add your printer design to [reprap.org]
Ano
February 05, 2015 01:53PM
Yeah, I thought I could turn it on. But I think there were just wiring problems (aka changed plus and minus) which I solved at the same time.

February 23, 2015 09:45AM
Hi Ano, I am having the same problem you were. I have the fan plugged into D9 but the fan is not turning on. Can you please tell me how you solved this issue? Did you move the fan connection to the extruder fan hookup in the diagram? I did not want to do that as I just have bare wire for the fan, and don't have connectors to plug it into the extruder part of the board. Or were you able to get D9 working by just swapping the wires?
February 24, 2015 02:45AM
Hello! I have the same problem on my Hephestos, the fan is not workink anymore on D9. I have the 1.4 Marlin firmware .... maybe a firmware problem.....
February 25, 2015 12:34PM
I had the same problem and mine was a shorted D9. Test the fan on the PSU to make sure it still works. I don't mind having the extruder fan on all the time so I just connected it to the PSU, way easier than a clogged extruder.

If you want the fan to only run when printing it will have to be connected to D9, and I believe M107 gcode is for that.
February 25, 2015 01:38PM
Hello!
I found the problem, the firmware 1.4 is the problem, I turned back on the 1.3.1 and the problem solved.....winking smiley
February 25, 2015 02:25PM
touchthebitum
Hello!
I found the problem, the firmware 1.4 is the problem, I turned back on the 1.3.1 and the problem solved.....winking smiley

Likely a configuration issue on your part, really doubt the firmware was the issue.

Please add your printer design to [reprap.org]
February 25, 2015 02:28PM
I downloaded the Hephestos firmware and I looked for the wrong line but I didn't found anything....
February 26, 2015 04:26PM
I solved the problem with the software WinMerge where I compared the two configuration.h 1.4 and 1.3.1
I modified the command:
#define FAN_SOFT_PWM
in
// #define FAN_SOFT_PWM
now works in 1.4
I hope I have helped yougrinning smiley
February 27, 2015 01:24AM
Thanks, I will try
March 04, 2015 11:33AM
coolcasa
I solved the problem with the software WinMerge where I compared the two configuration.h 1.4 and 1.3.1
I modified the command:
#define FAN_SOFT_PWM
in
// #define FAN_SOFT_PWM
now works in 1.4

Just done this, worked fine. thanks
March 05, 2015 01:51AM
jetsetrobot
coolcasa
I modified the command:
#define FAN_SOFT_PWM
in
// #define FAN_SOFT_PWM
now works in 1.4

Just done this, worked fine. thanks
thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
April 10, 2015 02:29PM
coolcasa
I modified the command:
#define FAN_SOFT_PWM
in
// #define FAN_SOFT_PWM
now works in 1.4

Hi,

I'm facing the same issue. I'm not sure how to modify the command. I did activate it and tried several other ways, but no success. I also don't seem to find a copy of the Configuration.h for v. 1.3.1.

Please let me know what I need to do or send the older configuration file. Thanks a lot!
April 10, 2015 02:57PM
You can find the conf.h here
[github.com]
April 10, 2015 05:14PM
coolcasa
You can find the conf.h here
[github.com]

Thanks for the quick reply. I still couldn't fix the problem. Any hint as to what I need to modify would be greatly appreciated. I'm able to run it manually using "M106". But, it doesn't work automatically when preheating the extruder hot end.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2015 05:58PM by aalhaimi.
April 11, 2015 02:21PM
Nevermind. I figured it out. At first, I thought you were referring to the original Marlin FW. The latest stable version according to their Github is v. 1.0.1. Anyways, I compared Marlin v. 1.3.1 and 1.4 provided by BQ. So just in case anyone else comes across this thread for more answers, for the the fan to function properly, "#define FAN_SOFT_PWM" in Configuration.h has to be removed or commented (which is already done in the original Marlin FW found here. While preheating the hot end, the fan does not run (by default). It runs only when over overheating. So, if you are new to 3D printers and worried, you shouldn't be.

This is a direct link to Marlin v. 1.0.1
July 28, 2015 06:24PM
My fan is connected to D9, it was always working from software control, on/off and speed control, but it just stopped working suddenly, tried the fan on 12v psu, works fine, any idea anyone?

I checked wiring, all good

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2015 06:25PM by deaconfrost.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login