Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

strange Z height.

Posted by PedroB 
strange Z height.
January 31, 2015 01:58PM
Fairly new to all this and having fun de-bugging my printer.

right out of the gate I got a couple of really nice prints. I currently have a strange problem with my z height.
I have my bed well trammed in all around. I'm using slic3r with a .3mm layer height. The first "wipe" move is great- nozzle lays down a nice bead and then moves in for the print and nothing sticks to the bed. I tried adjusting layer heights, raising bed temp, hairspray on the glass etc. I finally realised that the z was jumping up after the wipe move. I paused the print on my last attempt and sent M114 command. i got a return of .95 for Z height. I put a -.9 offset in sclic3r and the print came out fine.
Any ideas on where this wierd offset would be coming from?
Thanks,
Peter
Re: strange Z height.
January 31, 2015 06:42PM
I've seen this several times on this forum. If you look in the g-code, at the beginning you may find a line which tells the controller to raise the Z axis by a few microns.
Can you post the G-code?

February 01, 2015 08:24PM
perhaps it is caused by the line "G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle" in slicer; I didn't understand what it did at the time but it makes even less sense now xD
I removed it because it made a lot of noise, from the F5000 i would guess. Maybe it intends shakes the z backlash springs loose or something. (unlikely)
February 02, 2015 05:12AM
PedroB

right out of the gate I got a couple of really nice prints. I currently have a strange problem with my z height.
I have my bed well trammed in all around. I'm using slic3r with a .3mm layer height. The first "wipe" move is great- nozzle lays down a nice bead and then moves in for the print and nothing sticks to the bed. I tried adjusting layer heights, raising bed temp, hairspray on the glass etc. I finally realised that the z was jumping up after the wipe move. I paused the print on my last attempt and sent M114 command. i got a return of .95 for Z height. I put a -.9 offset in sclic3r and the print came out fine.
Thanks,
Peter

Can anyone help me out. I posted here. That is my topic.

[forums.reprap.org]

I can set my printer zero'd out and have leveld the bed perfectly but when I go to print the printer is raising my Z axis to 30 or something crazy and it is no where near the bed when it starts to print.

PLEASE HELP!
February 02, 2015 05:51AM
OO DURKE OO
PedroB

Thanks,
Peter

Can anyone help me out. I posted here. That is my topic.

[forums.reprap.org]

I can set my printer zero'd out and have leveld the bed perfectly but when I go to print the printer is raising my Z axis to 30 or something crazy and it is no where near the bed when it starts to print.

PLEASE HELP!

Post the first 12 lines or so of one of your GCode files lets see whats in the start bit of it
February 02, 2015 05:53AM
ah how do I do that? I am totally new to this as per my post. I am using Cura 14.07 and just using the files they provided me on the disc to do a test run of the printer.
February 02, 2015 06:07AM
OO DURKE OO
ah how do I do that? I am totally new to this as per my post. I am using Cura 14.07 and just using the files they provided me on the disc to do a test run of the printer.

You can open one of those gcode files in a text editor or notepad and cut and paste the first few lines if it is an STL file then your cura is inserting the lines and may be set wrong

also check the screen shot of my CURA attached and make sure the start codes are correct. Doesn't look like Cura has a manual cmd function (I Don't use it so not that familiar with it)
Attachments:
open | download - Cura.JPG (59 KB)
February 02, 2015 06:09AM
This is the start code from CURA

;Sliced at: {day} {date} {time}
;Basic settings: Layer height: {layer_height} Walls: {wall_thickness} Fill: {fill_density}
;Print time: {print_time}
;Filament used: {filament_amount}m {filament_weight}g
;Filament cost: {filament_cost}
;M190 S{print_bed_temperature} ;Uncomment to add your own bed temperature line
;M109 S{print_temperature} ;Uncomment to add your own temperature line
G21 ;metric values
G90 ;absolute positioning
M82 ;set extruder to absolute mode
M107 ;start with the fan off
G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops
G28 Z0 ;move Z to min endstops
G1 Z15.0 F{travel_speed} ;move the platform down 15mm
G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length
G1 F200 E3 ;extrude 3mm of feed stock
G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again
G1 F{travel_speed}
;Put printing message on LCD screen
M117 Printing...
February 02, 2015 06:10AM
im using the aurora z605 Prusa reprap i3 to try and print this with. It's just a pain in the ass that this device won't zero out properly on the z axis.
February 02, 2015 06:16AM
OO DURKE OO
This is the start code from CURA

;Sliced at: {day} {date} {time}
;Basic settings: Layer height: {layer_height} Walls: {wall_thickness} Fill: {fill_density}
;Print time: {print_time}
;Filament used: {filament_amount}m {filament_weight}g
;Filament cost: {filament_cost}
;M190 S{print_bed_temperature} ;Uncomment to add your own bed temperature line
;M109 S{print_temperature} ;Uncomment to add your own temperature line
G21 ;metric values
G90 ;absolute positioning
M82 ;set extruder to absolute mode
M107 ;start with the fan off
G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops
G28 Z0 ;move Z to min endstops
G1 Z15.0 F{travel_speed} ;move the platform down 15mm
G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length
G1 F200 E3 ;extrude 3mm of feed stock
G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again
G1 F{travel_speed}
;Put printing message on LCD screen
M117 Printing...

try changing the G28 lines to be G28 ; this should then move all axis to the Min endstops (Just wonder if having 2 separate lines in there are affecting it in some way) The other thing you could do is to clear out cura completely and re-install the latest version of it which is 14.12.1

Doug
February 02, 2015 06:37AM
tried changing the code to be like your picture but now the bed isnt heating. hmmm
February 02, 2015 06:37AM
nvm got that sorted out. cable came undone.
February 02, 2015 06:40AM
Didn't work its still extruding too high. it's like it doesn't know where to set the Z height too, so that it is nearly bottomed out and close to the bed.
February 02, 2015 06:41AM
it set the z height to 0.29 and then started printing when really its should be like 0.2 or close to that.
February 02, 2015 06:45AM
OO DURKE OO
it set the z height to 0.29 and then started printing when really its should be like 0.2 or close to that.

Ahah look at my pic and try adjusting the circled bit down to 0.2 and try it again
Attachments:
open | download - Cura.JPG (31.1 KB)
February 02, 2015 06:55AM
sorry it was already set to that by default. For some reason it just keep starting the print at 0.29 on the z axis instead of coming down close to the limiter switch which is where the bed is. The 0.29 is about 1/4 or maybe closer to a 1/2 an inch higher than the bed looking at it currently.
February 02, 2015 06:57AM
This is my screen on 14.07 that came with my printer. I tried 14.12.1 but it seemed to have issues even though my laptop is pretty powerful.
Attachments:
open | download - cura capshot.JPG (69.1 KB)
February 02, 2015 07:00AM
I guess what I am saying is based on the start program you had me do it appears my printer does not know where the z axis end stop is at because it comes up to 0.29 for no reason as its starting point and seems like it believes that is its end point or something along those lines.
February 02, 2015 07:02AM
Can I recommend that you download Repetier-Host and install it at least that way we can check the eeprom stings and have manual control of the printer as well and we can then check it out.

I am in the UK by the way. ist 11:50 am here

Doug
February 02, 2015 07:04AM
I have it downloaded let me install it and give it a try. is it fairly obvious when looking at it how to find settings for eeprom?
February 02, 2015 07:06AM
its 5:50 am here central standard time. I have family in the UK in New Market and we are about 6 hours behind you.
February 02, 2015 07:08AM
its under config at the top
and then its fairly obvious just hope that board has an eeprom on it (I Think it does) if you can try and get a screen grab of page and we'll see where we go I need to go out now and will be out for a few hours so not sure if you'll still be around when I get back?

If you can get thos grabs I will attempt to do a Repetier config for you and send you the Configuration.h which you will be able to put into the config tool and then download all the rest of it from there.

Doug
February 02, 2015 07:09AM
ok on the time well I will be back at around 5ish so can continue later if you wish?
February 02, 2015 07:10AM
PM Me your email address so I can send the Rep configs over for you
February 02, 2015 07:11AM
ok will do is that 5 your time or mine?

Here is the image I managed to pull from repetier. it says its connected to my printer not sure if these are accurate.
Attachments:
open | download - firmware.JPG (63.1 KB)
February 02, 2015 07:12AM
sent you my email
February 02, 2015 07:14AM
we may want to reset the board to factory defaults before we start so I make sure it detects that z axis limiter on its own. and is it best to start the screws at the top before testing that then let them come all the way down to the switch? it did not specify when they had me turn it on and do that earlier.
February 02, 2015 07:18AM
those look good actually see where you have homing offsets you could try adjusting the Z one see if you can get it down to the bed that way but before you do if you go to the manual control tab you should see the controls and hit the z home icon and see where it ends up if it is close to the bed then good I'll be back in at around 5 uk time.

Did you install Rep host with Cura if so we can configure that and should be good to go if it homes ok
February 02, 2015 07:20AM
I speak to you later see how we get on with it at least we now know all your machine settings.
February 02, 2015 07:21AM
well it just said repetier host I did not see an option for the cura version. It does have a 3d imaging built into it. How do I get to the cura feature to see?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login