Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thoughts on belt and pulley wear

Posted by elwood127 
Thoughts on belt and pulley wear
February 08, 2015 11:55AM
Using our printers every day, what might be a standard time frame for replacing belts and pulleys? Mine has about 4 months on it and is still doing well. Thoughts?
Re: Thoughts on belt and pulley wear
February 08, 2015 01:07PM
I think you sooner build a new machine than see you belts wear out.
February 08, 2015 01:50PM
I find good quality belts, pulleys, rods and bearings last about two years of near continuous use. After that they start to need replacing.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
February 08, 2015 02:13PM
If you are buying high quality belts there will be full lifespan calculations in the technical data based on temperature, RPM and power transfer.

Most timing belts will last 6 years or more in a car.
February 08, 2015 05:31PM
On a reprap they can work as long as the rubber don't crack. The load on a repraps is so light ! The stepper motors and the bearings will fail before the belts !

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
February 08, 2015 06:15PM
I find the teeth wear down and start giving backlash. I think aluminium pulley teeth wear as well. 3D printers do a hell of a lot of mileage.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
February 10, 2015 12:50AM
Well, that pretty much confirms that oiling the idler bearing was a bad idea. Live and learn. Like my father in-law says, why would you make the same mistake twice when there are so many new ones to make. Thanks guys.
P.s. Every time I say guys I wonder if I'm dissing any gals residing here. Are there ladies amongst us?
February 10, 2015 04:50PM
elwood127
P.s. Every time I say guys I wonder if I'm dissing any gals residing here. Are there ladies amongst us?

It would be safe to assume there are. Could always say 'thanks all', or 'thanks folk' or something more generic like 'thanks much' if you want.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login