Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Using 4 different stepper motors instead of same type to make 3d printer

Posted by ROXOR1993 
Using 4 different stepper motors instead of same type to make 3d printer
February 09, 2015 01:17PM
I bought 4 stepper motors from scrap. Two of the 4 are of same type and the other two are of different type. so I basically have 2 different pairs of stepper motors. can I use them to make 3d printer ? If not why ? If yes will I have to do any calibrations ? Does the rotation of the stepper motor matters or the torque ? Please dont suggest to buy new same stepper motors. Thank you.
Re: Using 4 different stepper motors instead of same type to make 3d printer
February 09, 2015 03:42PM
Are there any markings on them? Do you know their size, voltage, amperage, etc? Assuming that they are all bipolar 4 or 6 wire NEMA 14/17 type, roughly 4-5V, 0.8-1.5A, 0.9 or 1.8 degree steppers, they will work. If you're lucky enough for them to meet all of those qualifications, they will work just fine and you will be able to tune them individually. If you're using 5 steppers in your design, instead of just 4, use the matching pair to drive your z-axis.
February 10, 2015 12:13PM
stonedcoldskier
Are there any markings on them? Do you know their size, voltage, amperage, etc? Assuming that they are all bipolar 4 or 6 wire NEMA 14/17 type, roughly 4-5V, 0.8-1.5A, 0.9 or 1.8 degree steppers, they will work. If you're lucky enough for them to meet all of those qualifications, they will work just fine and you will be able to tune them individually. If you're using 5 steppers in your design, instead of just 4, use the matching pair to drive your z-axis.
Yes they are 6 wire bipolar and I think they do meet all these qualifications I just don't know their torque. Does their toque matter. what do you mean by tune them indivisually please elaborate.
February 10, 2015 01:24PM
Torque will matter to some degree, but mostly on the extruder. So long as your steppers are 35in/oz or better, and you're using a geared extruder, you shouldn't have any issues. As far as individually tuning them, your stepper drivers will have trimmable potentiometers on them which you will be able to turn to increase or decrease their voltage. Can you post pictures or part numbers? I would imagine that many folks here would have experience with your particular motors and could advise you better than I.
February 10, 2015 09:23PM
i have a mendelmax with different motor on all axis.. All i did was to tune the stepsticks differently for different motors ( to make them cool and quiet and still have enough torque ) .. The printer has been running just fine for last 1 .5 years
February 16, 2015 12:47AM
Here are the pictures of 2 pairs of stepper motors I bought. One kind has 6 wires and the other kind has 5 wires. how do I use 6 and 5 wire stepper motors in ramps 1.4 which I think requires 4 wires. Are these bipolor or unipolor . will these work with a 3d printer ? Also how to check if the stepper motor I bought from scrap works. I have a ramps 1.4.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 12:50AM by ROXOR1993.
Attachments:
open | download - Untitled-1 copy.jpg (295.6 KB)
open | download - Untitled-2serf copy.jpg (422.6 KB)
February 16, 2015 10:04PM
The 5 wire stepper cannot be used. The 6 wire can be used by using the first 4 'wires or finding the wires which make the coil pairs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login