Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lm8uu

Posted by saryn2 
Lm8uu
February 18, 2015 12:46AM
My last linear ball bearings for my smooth rods rusted. What are some good quality ones? Has anyone used the polymer bearings that Lulzbot sells?

Thanks,
Saryn2

Currently building my first 3d printer a Prusa i3.
Re: Lm8uu
February 18, 2015 04:01AM
Hi, I use Igus polymer bearings. I also own some quality SFK linear ball bearings ($12/each, one of the best equivalent of the chinese LM8UU). The SFK are great, but the polymer bearings are less expensive, more quiet, and works just fine. I don't know what brand Lulzbot resells, but the Igus can be bought directly on their website.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2015 04:01AM by Zavashier.

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
February 18, 2015 08:30PM
Zavashier
Hi, I use Igus polymer bearings. I also own some quality SFK linear ball bearings ($12/each, one of the best equivalent of the chinese LM8UU). The SFK are great, but the polymer bearings are less expensive, more quiet, and works just fine. I don't know what brand Lulzbot resells, but the Igus can be bought directly on their website.

Which particular Igus bearings did you get? I get bombarded with a choice of about 30 different materials whenever I try to find anything on their site!
February 18, 2015 09:17PM
I also was bombarded. What website did you get the SFK bearings from?
February 18, 2015 11:19PM
Did you put some grease inside off it before instaling the bearing ?
February 18, 2015 11:20PM
Thanks for the help!
February 18, 2015 11:21PM
No I did not. This is my first build.
February 19, 2015 03:17PM
Zavashier
Can you send me links? Thanks!

February 19, 2015 03:29PM
tijeff
Did you put some grease inside off it before instaling the bearing ?
No I did not put grease on the bearings before installing them. It is not in Printing stages yet and wasn't when they rusted. Does it matter it wasn't running? Sorry for the question this is my first build.

February 19, 2015 04:30PM
The ball bearings are steel, steel will rust in open air with moisture so unless you live in a very low humidity area they will rust. Grease not only helps them roll but coats them so that the moisture cannot rust them.
February 19, 2015 04:55PM
SFK linear bearings
Igus polymer bearings, note : ext. diameter is 16mm (LM8UU are 15mm)

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
February 19, 2015 11:32PM
Thanks for your help!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login