Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

scratch built rep rap in progress

Posted by Red040281 
scratch built rep rap in progress
March 10, 2015 04:17PM
Decided to have a go at making a printer my self I maybe out of my depth but I thought I'd give it a try I fancied Tring to make an aluminium framed one as I have access to a lot of materials at work what do people think
Attachments:
open | download - 20150310_195853-1.jpg (549.9 KB)
Re: scratch built rep rap in progress
March 10, 2015 05:54PM
Where did you order the bearings?
March 10, 2015 06:21PM
Ebay from china £10.00 for the 4
March 11, 2015 01:10AM
If you're planning on printing with ABS, plan on enclosing it and keeping the electronics out of the enclosure so it can be operated at elevated temperature. I think you've got a good start. Try pushing on the frame. If it flexes perceptibly, make it stiffer. If it flexes when you push on it it will move when a bed or extruder carriage is moving back and forth. If the frame flexes print quality will suffer.
March 11, 2015 02:35AM
Cheers for the advice a inclosed box was an idea at first but I decided to keep it open until I had a working model then maybe I might enclose it still Tring to work out how I'm going to make the x axis as I'm Tring to avoid plastic parts as much as I can
March 11, 2015 12:39PM
Here is my current X-axis design- very modular and scalable. I uses a linear guide screwed to a 1" square aluminum tube and NEMA-23 motor- you can probably use a NEMA-17 motor. The X-min limit switch is on the motor mount and is bumped by the linear guide bearing block. The belt tensioner/idler has a mount for an X-max switch if you want to use one. This assembly bolts to the Z axis screws in my printer. I had a little delam in the motor mount because it was printed without an enclosure on the printer- I'll probably replace it with an all aluminum version soon.

Linear guides provide a very compact and very precise means of moving the extruder carriage. You can often find good deals on used ones on ebay.

March 11, 2015 10:55PM
Can you show what the linear guid setup you used looks like, curious how you did it with only one rod screwed to that square tube.
March 12, 2015 12:04AM
Linear guide has a single rail that has grooves for balls on two sides. The bearing blocks have two loops of recirculating balls on each side. Here's an example: [www.ebay.com]
These things are usually precisely machined and ground and there is very little play (as in undetectable without good measurement instruments) in the motion of the bearing block that rides on the rail. I used NSK LS-15 linear guide. The square tube is probably not necessary because of the short run in my printer- the guide wouldn't sag enough to affect print quality if it were unsupported, but the square tube makes it easy to mount the whole thing and add other parts like motor mount, belt tensioner/idler, and Z axis zero screw (the thumb wheel on the left)..

I had to use a grinder with a cut-off disc to cut the rail to length- the steel is so hard I could barely scratch it with a hack saw or band saw.
June 15, 2018 12:53AM
You might also want to check out the dozens of you tube videos on building a scratch built printer. Lats of people have made interesting mistakes and come up with interesting solutions.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login