Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Splitting a part ?

Posted by Zavashier 
Splitting a part ?
March 20, 2015 01:08PM
Hi all. Someone gave me a STL file. It's a large piece LWH 320x180x450mm. I'm asked to print that on my prusa I3 with a buildplate of 200x200x180mm. So I guess I need to split the part into 6 pieces, then glue the 6 parts together with hopefuly not too puch post processing after. I tryed to split the part with Cura, but it does not seems to work as expected. Maybe I should do it with a third party software ?

What are your prefered method to split a part ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2015 03:00PM by VDX.

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
Re: Splitting a part ?
March 20, 2015 05:42PM
Try Netfabb basic (free) I have heard people mention before it's a favorite for cutting parts.

Load the model in, over in the right panel you will see a requester that says just change it to Cut all parts, then use the X Y & Z sliders to perform the cut, it shows a line showing where the cut will be, once you are happy with it just click on Execute Cut. If there is an error in the cut piece, Netfabb can also fix most errorms in STL files.
March 20, 2015 07:22PM
Then right click on objects to export to stl.... took awhile I to find a program to do that easily and was free
March 21, 2015 07:40AM
Autodesks (free) Meshmixer is worth a look also. It takes a little bit of learning

It can do that.

-a
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login