Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Building a Prusa

Posted by Kdurheim 
Building a Prusa
April 07, 2015 02:30PM
I would like to build a Prusa Mendel 3d printer that has a large printing bed with large scale capabilities. What changes must I make to my build in order to create a printing surface, area of 3'x4', to accommodate my needs?
Re: Building a Prusa
April 07, 2015 03:51PM
a different printer... search for some of the other Large Format printer topics for answers.
April 07, 2015 04:21PM
3 feet by 4 feet is HUGE. Not sure anything that big exists or how well it would even print.
Ray
April 08, 2015 02:06PM
Hi,

from my point of view the biggest problem will be the rigidity of the structure, and the weight:
You can fix the rigidity (if really needed) by using strongest rod and replacing 3D-printed parts by wooden ones. have a look at the grader i3. You will also be able to reduce the wobbling by reducing the print speed.
To resolve problem caused by excessive weight, you will probably need stronger motors. One problem that may occurs is that the pololu are limited to 2A, só if the motors need more than 2A, you'll need to find another stepper driver.
If I were you I'll check the CNC as they uses motors more powerful than those used for the printers.

For the bed, you will be able to create a heated bed using copper wires and this calculation.

If you use Marlin software, the configuration is quite easy: just set the X and Y dimension. in configuration.h. The rest will be the same as a normal printer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2015 02:07PM by Ray.
April 09, 2015 03:43AM
^ Maybe instead of a stronger stepper motor it could be a solution to have a stepper motor with a gearing, that will make is possible to pulle the bed without to much ampere needed, this will make it go slower for sure, but it is a cheaper solution than a much stronger stepper.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login