Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Multiple object in one code file with Sli3r

Posted by rich1812 
Multiple object in one code file with Sli3r
April 08, 2015 07:47PM
Hello, I put two or more objects in Sli3r So that I only need one code t print them all. It seems the gcode sli3r generated is prints all object simultaniously one layer at a time. Is it possible to make it print one object until it is completely done then move on to the next object? Does any one know of a program can do that? Thanks.
Re: Multiple object in one code file with Sli3r
April 08, 2015 08:44PM
That add in so many complexities...

That wold mean the highest thing you could print would be no higher than than length of your hot end. or the rest of the machine will hit and break the exsisting print. less of an issue with deltas, but the software would still need to know the size of you effector to space the parts wide enough aprt to they dont get hit..
April 08, 2015 09:06PM
Slic3r does have this functionality, in Print Settings --> Output Options. There's a Sequential Printing section with a Complete individual objects checkbox and dimensions for the size of your print head.

In addition to the risk of collisions with previously-printed parts (which properly setting the print head clearance dimensions should mitigate) note also that the print is likely to take longer this way and may produce inferior results, especially if the parts are small.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2015 09:06PM by IMBoring25.
April 08, 2015 09:34PM
I am not that experienced with slic3r, but I have seen these options in Cura, Tools tab at the top allows you to select all at once or one for one. You then go into machine>machine settings and you can setup the geometry of your head so that it doesn't crash. I have never used it, so that's about all i have for you.

I have always printed the entire sheet one slice at a time (regardless of how many parts are on it). I thought everyone did it this way unless there was some highly specific need (although I cannot think of any). My approach has always been, if I need 1 part quick, print just that part, if I need a bunch of parts, set it up and let it do its thing while I do something else.
April 08, 2015 11:12PM
Thank you all for your reply.

Dust
That add in so many complexities...

That wold mean the highest thing you could print would be no higher than than length of your hot end. or the rest of the machine will hit and break the exsisting print. less of an issue with deltas, but the software would still need to know the size of you effector to space the parts wide enough aprt to they dont get hit..
I am not concern with collision as the parts are < 5mm and they are all similar.

IMBoring25
Slic3r does have this functionality, in Print Settings --> Output Options. There's a Sequential Printing section with a Complete individual objects checkbox and dimensions for the size of your print head.

In addition to the risk of collisions with previously-printed parts (which properly setting the print head clearance dimensions should mitigate) note also that the print is likely to take longer this way and may produce inferior results, especially if the parts are small.
Duh! I thought I saw this option before, but never connected the dots. I am wondering why you said it will produce inferior result tho unless you meant collisions?

jculver09
I am not that experienced with slic3r, but I have seen these options in Cura, Tools tab at the top allows you to select all at once or one for one. You then go into machine>machine settings and you can setup the geometry of your head so that it doesn't crash. I have never used it, so that's about all i have for you.

I have always printed the entire sheet one slice at a time (regardless of how many parts are on it). I thought everyone did it this way unless there was some highly specific need (although I cannot think of any). My approach has always been, if I need 1 part quick, print just that part, if I need a bunch of parts, set it up and let it do its thing while I do something else.
The only one I have used is Sli3r. The reason I want to do this is precisely what you said, I can have all parts on one bed and print, then go do something else, serval hours later I come back, all parts are served. smiling smiley
April 09, 2015 12:53AM
The smaller the individual object cross-sections, the greater risk of dramatic slow-down and/or print quality problems associated with sequential printing.

Numerous print quality problems can arise when you try to lay another layer on a layer that hasn't yet solidified. If you have not properly set a minimum layer time for your material and temperatures (or even if you have and you hit the minimum speed you allow the machine to travel) you run the risk of printing on a molten layer, with all the warping, curling, and general deformation associated with that.

You don't have to print sequentially to do a multi-part plate. Printing all the parts layer by layer gets you all the benefit of extremely conservative cooling settings without slowing the machine down. The only benefit I see to sequential printing is improved odds of getting some usable parts off a plate if you run out of filament partway through or experience some other types of malfunction.
April 09, 2015 02:14AM
rich1812
The only one I have used is Sli3r. The reason I want to do this is precisely what you said, I can have all parts on one bed and print, then go do something else, serval hours later I come back, all parts are served. smiling smiley

If that is what you want then leave slic3r in its default setup with regard to sequential printing. This is how the program comes setup. Add all of your parts and hit slice and it will set the code to print the entire sheet one layer at a time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login