Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

making connectors?

Posted by fatesalign 
making connectors?
April 30, 2015 12:32PM
Hello everyone. So I'm basically at my wits end on my 3d printer. For those who didn't see the post, I'm looking for this wire: [e3d-online.com]

Unfortunately, there's no way I could get it by the weekend, which I really wanted to work on it. This is probably an unbelievably stupid question, but is it not possible to make some crappy makeshift wire just to get it running until I get the actual wire in or until I 3d print the connectors? Maybe tape them to it and shove them in the connector? Or will this risk shorting out the motor? Any help would be great. If its a really stupid question, I apologize.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2015 12:45PM by fatesalign.
Re: making connectors?
April 30, 2015 12:47PM
Best to wait until you can do it properly - these motors can take quite a high current intermittently on each wire, so a bad joint could end up in a bad situation.

Patience is a virtue! grinning smiley
April 30, 2015 01:17PM
I know you're right. It just really sucks having waited for so long just to get this and it not have all the parts.
April 30, 2015 01:20PM
fatesalign
I know you're right. It just really sucks having waited for so long just to get this and it not have all the parts.

Have you tried Folgertech they don't list them on there webpage but they may well have them?

Doug.

or any other kit/printer supplier unfortunately being in the UK I can't really help you with USA shops.
April 30, 2015 01:46PM
I think I figured it out! Please if someone could tell me if this will work or not. The original motor is not a Nema 17 motor, but I think its a knockoff. Unfortunately, I am not near it to get the number but here is the sales page.

What I want to do is buy these connectors: [www.amazon.com]

And this motor: [www.amazon.com]

Then solder them together. Do you know if it will work? I have 3 hours to get it overnighted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2015 01:53PM by fatesalign.
April 30, 2015 02:17PM
I guess I'll just use the cord from it and use the same motor. That way I'll know I'm good. Either way, I've got them both overnighted to me. smiling smiley)
April 30, 2015 02:25PM
Looks like that should work. One issue I have run across is the picture in Amazon not matching what you get. So you may end up with a motor without a plug.
April 30, 2015 02:52PM
fatesalign
I think I figured it out! Please if someone could tell me if this will work or not. The original motor is not a Nema 17 motor, but I think its a knockoff. Unfortunately, I am not near it to get the number but here is the sales page.

What I want to do is buy these connectors: [www.amazon.com]

And this motor: [www.amazon.com]

Then solder them together. Do you know if it will work? I have 3 hours to get it overnighted.

what does a "knock-off NEMA 17 motor" look like?

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
April 30, 2015 02:56PM
Lol I assume it is. It looks just like it, but it doesn't say nema. I will post a link when I get home.
April 30, 2015 02:58PM
AquaticsLive
Looks like that should work. One issue I have run across is the picture in Amazon not matching what you get. So you may end up with a motor without a plug.
Omg now I'm going to worry about that lol. I paid an extra 25 to have it overnighted. I ended up paying over 50 dollars for 1 cord, so it better have it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2015 03:11PM by fatesalign.
April 30, 2015 03:36PM
I'm not too worried. It shows the whole cord and not just part of it, so I would think that means its included.
May 01, 2015 03:58AM
JFYI: Nema 17 is a frame size (bolt pattern etc.) The actual motor can be a stepper, servo, DC, AC, or whatever smiling smiley It's probably more meaningful to give the torque and current requirements instead of the frame size when discussing stepper motors.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login