Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

One of These Wikis is Not Like the Other ...

Posted by Phil Bordelon 
One of These Wikis is Not Like the Other ...
March 13, 2007 10:46PM
I'm rather curious as to why the Object Library is a MediaWiki installation where the main RepRap site is a TWiki install. I'm personally way, way more familiar with MediaWiki (having been an editor on Wikipedia since its equivalent to the Stone Age), but I'm slowly coming to grips with TWiki's quirks. I'm just wondering why we have two disparate solutions.

I have a hunch that, if the right tactic is to roll everything into a single Wiki (whichever it might be), sooner rather than later is definitely a better course of action. But I also have a hunch that the Object Library is separate for a reason ... I just don't know what it is.

Please enlighten me!
Re: One of These Wikis is Not Like the Other ...
March 22, 2007 06:54PM
No answer to this? I must admit that I'm leery of putting lots of information into a Wiki (on either side of the object divide) without a clear understanding of just what's going on here with regards to the two separate installations.
March 23, 2007 03:31PM
hey phil,

sorry about the delay... basically i think why they are different is because they were set up by different people. i think simon was more familiar with twiki so he went with that, while sebastian was more familiar with mediawiki.

feel free to contribute to both of them... i dont think there are plans to consolidate either wiki, so dont worry about potentially losing any data =)

~Zach
April 10, 2007 08:56PM
Sorry for not replying to this earlier; I had been putting it off until I completed a task.

Short version: I'd planning on putting up an installation of plone and, if people like it, tearing down the mediawiki. Again, if people like it, I'd like to us to consolidate the twiki stuff into plone.

-Sebastien
April 10, 2007 11:08PM
i'll give it a try... i still think that a wiki will work the best for group documentation. plus you can link directly to a page even if it isnt created. on the parts db, it defaults to generating a link to the objects wiki based on the name. this functionality is something i'd like to be able to keep.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login