Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Should I sell reprap and get ultimaker or upgrade my reprap.{prusa i3}

Posted by zastin17 
Should I sell reprap and get ultimaker or upgrade my reprap.{prusa i3}
June 22, 2015 05:24AM
So I have a prusa i3 I built and I love it but the quality of the prints. Dont get me wrong are very good but not good enough to satisfy my craving for quality. I was looking into getting a p3steel frame laser cut and then getting leadscrews for the z axis. The would cost around $300 total for all my planned upgrades. I saw the ultimaker and its around $1000. The prints are incredible. I mean ridiculously good. Look My question is should I save for a ultimaker and sell my reprap. I know i'm posting this on {reprap websight}. So most people will say reprap just because i'm on that websight. I'm striving for the best possible print quality. If I upgrade my prusa i3 could I get my print quality up to ulitmaker quility? The planned upgrades are proper leadscrews, New linear rods and bearing. e3d v6, new frame, And possibly better motors.
Re: Should I sell reprap and get ultimaker or upgrade my reprap.{prusa i3}
June 22, 2015 02:19PM
Or you can take the parts from your prusa and build a proper printer. There are fundamental problems with the Prusa that your money might not be able to fix. Since I dont know what your frame is made of or the steps you have taken to make it more rigid then Im afraid youre throwing money away.

The basic question is... Do you want to endlessly build and tweak machines or print plastic?
Re: Should I sell reprap and get ultimaker or upgrade my reprap.{prusa i3}
June 22, 2015 02:22PM
Case in point. I bought 12 pieces of 400mm 30x30 high rigidity aluminum extrusion to make a frame for my next printer which will be a corexy cube. Ill take most of the parts from my prusa and build this new machine.

The frame cost me $45 and nuts and bolts were like $20.

Thats a lot less than $300 and ill have a much better machine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login