Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Advices to build my first 3D printer - Choosing the model

Posted by Richard PV 
Advices to build my first 3D printer - Choosing the model
July 08, 2015 09:48PM
Hi everybody,

I'm new to building and using 3d printers, I have knowledge about electronics, not so much since I'm not en Electronic Engineer (I'm actually a Telecommunications Eng.) but I have taken many courses related to Electronics at my college. I'm pretty sure that with some help I can do it.

First, I need to decide the model of 3D printer to build, I was thinking between a Prusa i3 and P3Steel, since the P3Steel has stronger frame. But now I really prefer to start using a frame made of MDF or a material easy to work with. Maybe my best option would be starting with Box Style Frame, made of wood.
the [reprap.org]
Or may be the Alternate Box frame
[reprap.org]

However I'd really prefer one that has a frame easy to build. For example I like the frame that I found here (The post is in Spanish, just look at the links inside)
[spainlabs.com]
About that I like that model because I think it's easy to do, looks good and apparently the result is enough good. Also has the electronics parts on the top.
Is it this the Alternate Box Frame? [www.reprap.org]

Best Regards,

Please help me to choose a good model
Re: Advices to build my first 3D printer - Choosing the model
July 09, 2015 12:29AM
Really should look at the smartrap core on thingiverse.
July 09, 2015 09:03AM
I suggest reading this before you decide what to buy/build. It explains a lot of the compromises made to push the price of printers down and the real cost of those compromises.
July 09, 2015 01:11PM
Hey dentist... Why did you go with a moving Y bed rather than a moving z bed aka hbot or corexy? I am at this juncture where I must make the same decision and havent had luck in finding pros cons of each that sway me either way...

Ok so i see that you said if you were starting from scratch you would go corexy....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2015 01:15PM by thetazzbot.
July 09, 2015 04:10PM
When I started building a few years ago I was starting from zero knowledge/experience with 3D printing. My first machine used the bed moving in the Y axis, so my rebuild did the same. I had the parts available, and already had a sizable investment in that format for the printer. If I were starting from scratch, knowing what I know now, I'd look to build something with the bed moving only in Z axis, or not at all (a delta). The one advantage of the bed moving in the Y axis type architecture is short drive belts (compared to coreXY), which I believe lends itself to higher precision. I am not sure what the limits are with the coreXY and the delta designs, though someone at the makerspace has a delta that produces very high quality prints (when he can get it working).
July 09, 2015 10:25PM
thetazzbot thanks for the reply, I looked at the smartrap core on thingiverse. I think is a very good option to start to 3D printing world.
Q: Are the SmartrapCore and SmartrapCoreXY the same model?

Thanks dentist, I've read it and now I know better the pros and cons. But at the moment I prefer to start with a model easier, after that, I will try another design "less easy" in order to improve the results I could obtain.

I've seen other interesting models in the forum:

* Cherry - 60€ 3D-Printer (Look at the motors that it uses) and very cheap
[www.thingiverse.com]

* Easy wooden repstrap (No printed parts, AWESOME!)
[www.thingiverse.com]

* Poor Man's 3D Printer
[www.instructables.com]

I'm not pretty sure about the last one.
Now I'm deciding between the SmartrapCore and the Cherry 3D Printer
The Cherry would be an excellent option to start, at this point I'm not looking for excellent results, just I want to start to build a 3d printer (Well really I'll start in one and a half months, that's the time necessary for the International shipping from ebay or aliexpress)

Best regards,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2015 10:34PM by Richard PV.
July 10, 2015 12:48AM
I would not focus on building the cheapest printer because you will not be satisfied.

Focus on learning how to make a solid printer on a specific budget.

The smartrap corexy is solid if you use 1/2 in or 12mm mdf. It is also cost effective And scalable to an certain extent. Start with 220 mm x 220mm build area so you can use pcb heater to start with.
July 10, 2015 02:58PM
thetazzbot you are right!
Now I believe that the Smartrap Core XY is the best for me.

thetazzbot, why did you say that I can use a pcb heater to start, isn't a best option just buy one like this or something similar?
[www.aliexpress.com]
Forgive me if this is a silly question

I also have a doubt about the printed parts of this printer?
When I saw the stl files at [www.thingiverse.com] I didn't see the part that pulls and feed the the material, this is the extruder part, AKA "cold end", right?
This part don't usually come with the design of the printed parts? What model can I use?

Where can I buy the printed parts of this printer? I don't have access to a 3D printer.
At SmartFriendZ I only found this model, but apparently if for Smartrap (Not Smartrap Core)
[smartfriendz.com]

Can I use thist as extruder maybe?
[www.ebay.com]
Also I have some doubts about how the extruder system works, since the cold end (extruder part) is not attached to the cold end, different from the majority printers .

I would like to start to buy the parts, maybe If you have any suggestions for the principal parts, that are new for me (printed parts, extruder cold end and hot) I'll appreciate your advices. For the other parts (motors, RAMPS, screws, etc) I think that wouldn't be a big problem that I find them by myself. I hope so.

Best regards,
July 10, 2015 06:42PM
Richard PV
thetazzbot you are right!
Now I believe that the Smartrap Core XY is the best for me.

thetazzbot, why did you say that I can use a pcb heater to start, isn't a best option just buy one like this or something similar?
[www.aliexpress.com]
Forgive me if this is a silly question

Yeah, that's what I was saying. There are other, better, more expensive options. A milled aluminum plate ($20-$30), glass ($1), kapton film heater ($30). My current bed on my prusa i3 is an aluminum plate on top of the linear bearings, then a piece of thick cardboard (insulator), pcb heater, aluminum top plate, and glass. It takes 10-15 minutes to heat up, but is stable, flat, and generally doesn't cause me headaches.

Richard PV
I also have a doubt about the printed parts of this printer?
When I saw the stl files at [www.thingiverse.com] I didn't see the part that pulls and feed the the material, this is the extruder part, AKA "cold end", right?
This part don't usually come with the design of the printed parts? What model can I use?

Where can I buy the printed parts of this printer? I don't have access to a 3D printer.
At SmartFriendZ I only found this model, but apparently if for Smartrap (Not Smartrap Core)
[smartfriendz.com]

I'm going to be printing some this weekend. Where are you located? maybe there is someone here on the forum that can sell you a set reasonably cheap. If you're in the US I can volunteer once I print out my set to validate fit and finish.
Richard PV
Can I use thist as extruder maybe?
[www.ebay.com]
Also I have some doubts about how the extruder system works, since the cold end (extruder part) is not attached to the cold end, different from the majority printers .

I would go with a bowden setup. I'm using an all metal $20 jhead. Not the most elegant solution but it works for me. Bruno M. on youtube has a nice jhead rework video.
Richard PV
I would like to start to buy the parts, maybe If you have any suggestions for the principal parts, that are new for me (printed parts, extruder cold end and hot) I'll appreciate your advices. For the other parts (motors, RAMPS, screws, etc) I think that wouldn't be a big problem that I find them by myself. I hope so.

Best regards,

Yeah you can get the parts from ebay. Typical cost would be about $150 USD.

These are just examples. I try to buy from the US and look for free shipping over cheapest price because it's worth it to me to support my local economy smiling smiley

3 end stops: $5.95 + $2 shipping
[www.ebay.com]

RAMPS $10.99 - free shipping
[www.ebay.com]

LCD - optional - $19.99 - free shipping
[www.ebay.com]

5 stepper motoros $39.99 + $10 shipping
[www.ebay.com]

Aluminum frog plate $18.99 + $5.20 shipping
[www.ebay.com]

All metal jhead $19.99
[www.ebay.com]

Power supply $19.98 + $5 shipping
[www.ebay.com]

Arduino mega 2560 $13.85
[www.ebay.com]

PCB heated bed - $8.97 + $1.98 shipping
[www.ebay.com]

You'll need to find some belts and pulleys

You'll need some screws, smooth rods and threaded rods. Shop locally for these if you can.
July 10, 2015 08:28PM
thetazzbot
I'm going to be printing some this weekend. Where are you located? maybe there is someone here on the forum that can sell you a set reasonably cheap. If you're in the US I can volunteer once I print out my set to validate fit and finish.

That would be great, I'd appreciate a lot. I'm from Peru. I have a friend who is in US and I'm pretty sure that he is coming back to Peru at the end of this month, let me ask him, I think he could bring me the printed parts. We could discuss the details by PM, ok?

thetazzbot
Yeah you can get the parts from ebay. Typical cost would be about $150 USD.

These are just examples. I try to buy from the US and look for free shipping over cheapest price because it's worth it to me to support my local economy smiling smiley

3 end stops: $5.95 + $2 shipping
[www.ebay.com]

RAMPS $10.99 - free shipping
[www.ebay.com]

LCD - optional - $19.99 - free shipping
[www.ebay.com]

5 stepper motoros $39.99 + $10 shipping
[www.ebay.com]

Aluminum frog plate $18.99 + $5.20 shipping
[www.ebay.com]

All metal jhead $19.99
[www.ebay.com]

Power supply $19.98 + $5 shipping
[www.ebay.com]

Arduino mega 2560 $13.85
[www.ebay.com]

PCB heated bed - $8.97 + $1.98 shipping
[www.ebay.com]

You'll need to find some belts and pulleys

You'll need some screws, smooth rods and threaded rods. Shop locally for these if you can.

I have found this cheaper option (looking for in the forum):

mega2560 + ramp 1.4 + lcd 12864 + 5 A4988 = $26.40
[www.aliexpress.com]

Is that ok, right?

Thanks a lot for the help,

Best regards,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login