Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Still Having Problems starting up!!! Someone Help

Posted by DMPurdy 
Still Having Problems starting up!!! Someone Help
July 30, 2015 08:57PM
I have Prusa I3 Folger Tech aluminum model and I have tried to figure out wtf I am doing wrong and just cannot. If someone could PM me who is knowledgable on the Arduino and Marlin software or Printrun and help me with a few questions on logging commands to begin with I would greatly appreciate it.
Re: Still Having Problems starting up!!! Someone Help
July 30, 2015 09:27PM
Well, what's your problem? Is it the printer, the firmware, the connection? Give us an idea...
July 30, 2015 09:45PM
Well the unit powers on but does not heat the bed or extruder. I have checked my wiring over and over and was sent a new ramp board with no success. I looked everything over with baud rate and so forth but am I missing a step in entering a startup code? I am not sure about the " " or how exactly changes are to be made or entered. The temperature control is non responsive and I have gotten nothing to move whatsoever.
July 30, 2015 10:15PM
Sounds like you dont have external power turned on or working...

The board will get 5v from USB and will act like it works. But movement and heating come from the 12v plugged into the ramps board.

If you do have 12v plugged in and on. check the board is actuly getting 12. Put a voltage meter over D2 for example. that should always show 12v. Or the 12v aux pins (just behind d2)

Is your board actulay talking? if you manualy send m119 (endstop status) to the board from pronterface, does it reply?
Are you getting any tempature readings after you connect to the board?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2015 10:28PM by Dust.
July 30, 2015 10:52PM
Ill check the 12v but how do you send m119 on pronterface exactly?
July 30, 2015 11:00PM
Bottom right corner, right below the window where you get messages, there should be a box with a "SEND" button next to it. Type 119 in the box and hit send. The reply will be in the window immediately above.

- Tim
July 31, 2015 07:12PM
It just says connecting or if I hit send it says printer not online
July 31, 2015 07:15PM
I also checked the D2 auxillary as you asked and it is in fact getting 12 volts..
July 31, 2015 07:21PM
t just says connecting or if I hit send it says printer not online
August 01, 2015 08:37PM
Hello Hello anyone out there
August 01, 2015 09:09PM
You have put Marlin on it with the Arduino IDE as per the docs, right? The boards have no code loaded as shipped . . .
In any case, check your Marlin config, verify that the baud rate close to the top matches what you are set to in Pronterface, reflash, and try again.

- Tim
August 01, 2015 11:05PM
Yes, sounds like there is no firmware on the controller yet, so it wont do anything. Any comands you send to it are not received or interpreted by anything..
August 02, 2015 08:51AM
I have the Marlin downloaded but not sure if it is synced with IDE? what is the IDE exactly? Sorry I am very new to this... If someone can just guide me into the the first few steps of loading software and setting up board I would be very grateful.
August 02, 2015 12:13PM
IDE is the Arduino development kit, and is the *ONLY* tool you have to compile and upload Marlin to the Mega.
If my memory serves,mall this is covered in Folger's documentation . . . are you using it - both the build and config guides?

- Tim
August 02, 2015 08:50PM
So I redownloaded the Marlin and Arduino and am at the point to hit the upload and when I do it just says "error compiling" on the Marlin Ramps Epcos i38-2
August 02, 2015 10:10PM
Either you made an error in your configuration . . . . or the board type is set wrong . . . never heard of that card on a Folger 3d . . . Be certain that you have the board type set for the Mega 2650 . . . otherwise, it *WILL* error, no matter what . . .

- Tim

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2015 10:13PM by tadawson.
August 02, 2015 10:16PM
Here is what is happening. Now it didn't error out but said timeout avrdude...
Attachments:
open | download - Screen Shot 2015-08-02 at 9.15.17 PM.png (70.1 KB)
August 02, 2015 10:22PM
DMPurdy
Here is what is happening. Now it didn't error out but said timeout avrdude...

That's not Marlin - that's the baseline Arduino template that amounts to nothing. Go to the menu on the upper left, select open, and drill down to your Marlin directory, select "Marlin.ino" and open it and try again. Avrdude is the programmer for the Mega, so that error means that either it was not plugged into the computer, you are on the wrong port, or Pronterface or something else is trying to use that port, making it non responsive. (Noting on the bottom of your image something about /dev/cu.Bluetooth . . . clearly the wrong device . . . .)

- Tim

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2015 10:24PM by tadawson.
August 02, 2015 10:29PM
Okay, I see what you are saying but I don't have anything that says ino other than blink.ino I also do not know what port to choose as I only have these bluetooth and iMac ones? I think there was a 1421 before but I have no idea wtf happened to that one.
August 02, 2015 10:32PM
Okay I found the port now, I also had a bunch of sketches saved so I took the first one and renamed it INO
August 02, 2015 10:34PM
It says done uploading after I closed it and saved and then reopened Arduino
August 03, 2015 01:51AM
The Marlin.ino file is not something you name, it should be part of the firmware that you downloaded from Folger (maybe it's .pde - thier stuff is older . . .) but again, all this is in Folger's config manual for your printer, with pictures . . . do what's there (and don't get creative) and this is pretty hard to get wrong. I'm not sure what the port will be on Mac, but on other *nix, it is /dev/ACM0 or something similar . . .

- Tim

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2015 12:45AM by tadawson.
August 03, 2015 08:54PM
I did follow the guide, nothing is happening other than it connects to the printer via communication now. It still does not heat extruder or bed. Do I now need to load something else to activate that?
August 03, 2015 09:02PM
This is the Repetier log as I am starting to try and run something to see what happens

7:58:20 PM: Unknown option bed_shape
7:58:20 PM: Unknown option dont_support_bridges
7:58:20 PM: Unknown option wipe
7:58:20 PM: Unknown option xy_size_compensation
7:58:20 PM: Unknown option support_material_contact_distance
7:58:20 PM: Unknown option external_fill_pattern
7:58:20 PM: Argument "\x{32}\x{30}..." isn't numeric in numeric lt (<) at /Applications/Repetier-Host Mac.app/Contents/Resources/Slic3r.app/Contents/Resources/lib/std/Slic3r/Config.pm line 1271.
7:58:20 PM: Invalid value for --fill-density
August 04, 2015 12:48AM
Looks like your Repetier Host config is broken . . . those errors are all on your computer, not the printer. You might want to go back to Pronterface . . . I find it a lot easier myself, and then pick what you like once things work. On either package, though, you need to go into settings and tell it what your printer is. Oh, and the first thing you probably want to send is a 'Home' (G28) - without establishing that point of reference, it doesn't know where it is, or what is a safe move.

- Tim

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2015 12:51AM by tadawson.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login