Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

5/16" Rods for X-Axis to Drilling Best Practices

Posted by leeand00 
5/16" Rods for X-Axis to Drilling Best Practices
August 11, 2015 12:34AM
The parts I ordered from Spain for a Prusa i3 seemed to fit together pretty well for the base using the 5/16" smooth rods for the y-axis; now I'm on to the x-axis and the parts I have have alot of places that need to be drilled such as the left and right quarter ovals below:

So what is the best way to go about this? Where do I put the drill tip for best results, and should I use a 5/16" drill bit for this, or something a bit smaller?

I bought a Drill Guide to make sure the holes are drilled straight, but I'm still a little nervious about doing it, so I'm here to ask about some best practices for this.

Thank you,
leeand00
Re: 5/16" Rods for X-Axis to Drilling Best Practices
August 11, 2015 09:36AM
Those look like support towers for printing. You should be able to break them out easily with a screw driver.
August 11, 2015 05:29PM
Don't remove the horizontal pieces!
August 11, 2015 05:34PM
Just a note. My printed parts were so terrible that I had to redesign and print new ones. If you are interested you may want to look into these replacements. They add about a 1/2" of build height and move things forward abit so the extruder doesn't bump into the idler. Also I set them up to use set screws to fasten the x rods. No hammering to assemble and align. [www.thingiverse.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login