Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Taulman 618 Input

Posted by dbrewski 
Taulman 618 Input
August 13, 2015 11:24AM
I tried printing with Taulman 618 nylon for the first time last night. I was hoping to get some input to improve my print quality. I printed on heated glass with elmer's purple glue stick at 55C. My extrusion temperature was 245C and I was printing at a pretty slow speed. The large cone print is at 100% per customer request and I feel that is probably one of the main reasons I am seeing uniform warping on the bottom of the entire part. I dried the filament in an oven for 2 hours at 170 F just before printing. I measured the filament to get correct diameter before slicing and I am using a makeshift enclosure to prevent any drafts.The green part is ABS for comparison.

[drive.google.com]
[drive.google.com]
Re: Taulman 618 Input
August 13, 2015 05:09PM
I'm not sure about nylon temps but 55c seems way to cool.
August 16, 2015 06:24PM
55c is what Taulman recommends.

The settings you are using are spot on what the manufacture suggested.

But they also suggest 100% pva instead of gluestick. What I'm using is a watered down solution of elmers glue. Spread on the bed with a foam brush and allow it to dry completely before turning on the bed.

However, painters tape tends to peel and I suspect that is causing my warping. I'm going to try the PVA on top of hair spray applied glass.
August 16, 2015 06:29PM
Also, the speed on the print is a factor. I'm printing at a slow pace of 25mm/s (also suggested by Taulman) (yes, its painful to watch my printer go so slowly)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2015 06:29PM by thetazzbot.
August 16, 2015 06:37PM
If you can find this stuff, they say it works wonders for nylon

1/4" sheet of Garolite LE (as seen here: [www.thingiverse.com]).
August 17, 2015 03:35PM
I almost purchased a sheet from mcmaster. Work used to have bakelite and I was hoping to snag a peice to try out at home since its the same thing. I also heard that canvas works really well when it is epoxied down to a glass sheet. I thought the bumps on the outer edge where moisture in the filament. I tried printing the same piece in ABS and got the bumbs again. A buddy told me it was over extrusion and as usual he was right.

I am still getting lots of warping but at least these parts are coming out tough as nails. The layer adhesion is really impressive. I wish I could find more information on others printing attempts with nylon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login