Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Noob printer build

Posted by Rumblebelly5 
Noob printer build
August 15, 2015 11:20PM
Been looking to build a 3D printer for a while. Acquired a few parts as time has gone by (over a year) and now I've started building it.

So here is my box frame Prusa with a Wades extruder. All the mechanical parts are built and moving.

Still need to wire and program the ramps board as well as install the hot end that I have ordered from ebay.

Any advice at this stage is greatly appreciated.
Attachments:
open | download - 50_1439692338873.jpg (526 KB)
Re: Noob printer build
August 16, 2015 06:56PM
Hey Noob, nice. Can't wait to see how she performs.
August 18, 2015 09:31AM
Hi,

I used to have an I3 box frame myself, and the only thing worth pointing out is the box is very unstable, and I'd recommend adding something to stop it rocking backwards and forwards.
Other than that is a really good design.

What extruder are you going for?
Iv recently made the change to repetier firmware and host and I'd really recomend that too. The online configuration tool and eeprom menu make setting up and calibrating the firmware a breeze.

O also stay away from cheep filament!
August 19, 2015 12:54AM
I did boot the frame itself down to a cart so that might help someone me.

As far as the hot end, I ordered one from ebay that is suppose to work with the waxes extruder I received with the kit I bought.

Thanks for the repetire advice I am hoping to get the steppers wired to the ramps board this weekend if I have time reprogramming that should be over helpful.

How does one identify cheap filament?
August 19, 2015 02:38AM
try making the bed lighter. ( use 5-6 mm plywood or 3mm fr4 )... a heavy bed will slow down your printing speed
August 19, 2015 03:08AM
Try eSun Filament. It's made in China but it has a good quality. I've been using it for 6 months and the print quality is pretty nice.
August 20, 2015 06:00PM
What a lot of interesting looking things in your workshop! smiling smiley
August 20, 2015 11:01PM
Lol, I think I will take that as a compliment.

I have been tinkering with pinball machines forever it seems like so I have acquired too many projects over the years. This is just another one of those projects I think sometimes :-)
August 20, 2015 11:11PM
What a mess of spelling from my last post as well, I should apologize for such a bad spell checker on my kindle :-(

I am need some help tho, I started routing wires and ran into an issue identifying coil 1 and 2, the plug for the board side is red, grey, yellow, green in that order, with the exception of the yellow and grey wires are reversed on the stepper.

Help!
August 21, 2015 06:35AM
It actually doesn't matter much. As long as the wires of each coil are on adjacent pins the motor will work. If it goes the wrong way simply reverse the plug in the socket. More info:[www.reprap.org]
August 22, 2015 08:04PM
Progress!!!

Wired and moving, anyone have a link to a move guide to repetier?
August 23, 2015 07:58AM
Here the link to the configuration tool,

[www.repetier.com]

Once you have downloaded the firmware there are installation instructions on the website, [www.repetier.com]

Id recommend reading up on the EEPROM settings too. Using EEPROM and the repetier host make calibration soooo much easier!

Hope all goes well!
February 01, 2016 12:51AM
So it made it back on my list of projects again, however I'm still in the same boat.

Still trying to get the z axis moving, followed the wiring diagram but only one of the stepper is chattering. Anyone can point me to a guide?
February 08, 2016 06:46PM
Ok, so I figured out that if you have bad connections on a stepper that it causes things like stuttering to happen. So after a complete rewiring the whole machine and verifying that the wires are crimped in the connects right I have the axis moving well. On to new problems.

Cannot get the extruder moving :-(

Help
February 08, 2016 07:13PM
Did you heat it up? To avoid grinding the filament the firmware won't try and move the extruder unless the hotend is above a temperature threshold. You can temporarily disable that for testing by sending M302 (see [reprap.org] )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2016 07:14PM by JamesK.
February 09, 2016 11:28PM
Rumblebelly5
Lol, I think I will take that as a compliment.

I have been tinkering with pinball machines forever it seems like so I have acquired too many projects over the years. This is just another one of those projects I think sometimes :-)

I used to repair pinballs and videos too. Loved it. Great experience and memories.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login