Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z Steps Gcode

Posted by elwood127 
Z Steps Gcode
August 24, 2015 12:35AM
Hey all, I have a Z605 I3 with the later Melzi board. Since installing the Prometheus hotend I've found that I can actually draw nearly exact hole sizes and get the same in the printed part. On horizontal holes I'm seeing an egg shape in the Z direction. Good in the width but long in the heighth. About .5mm difference. Can I use the Slic3r Gcode editor below to adjust my Z Steps and if so, what would be the exact phrase to add and what would be a step number that would shorten my egg shaped holes? Nema 17 motors. Thanks.

Re: Z Steps Gcode
August 24, 2015 12:45AM
So, if you printed a cube, is the height correct or still off? or it only on holes?
August 24, 2015 04:23PM
The part ( with the horizontal holes in it ) was drawn at 51mm measure 52.5mm. Width and depth are within .01mm of perfect.
August 24, 2015 04:59PM
So, Z is off 1.5mm

So, Im guessing you want to tune on the fly rather than through the Firmware.
Anyways to your question... You can use M92 to set your steps per unit.

M92 Zxxx.x where xxx.x is your steps per mm

To get your current steps in Firmware use M503
To get your current steps in EEPROM use M501

M500 stores parameters in EEPROM
August 24, 2015 05:35PM
Thanks but where am I seeing the M503 or M501 results. In printer settings gcode(scripts) window or Slic3r gcode editor window? In the above window it shows Start code and end code. Am I entering the M503 in the start code area? Will it pop up with the existing values in that window? Thanks man.
August 24, 2015 06:41PM
I'm not sure what your using to send GCode to your printer Ponterface, Repetier Host, or something else. Send the M50? Commands from your host software. That will give you your current settings. Adjust how you want with the M92 command and try it. If it fixes it then you can burn it into your firmware with M500 or ad the M92 command into your start GCode.
August 24, 2015 09:11PM
I'm using Repetier. I entered the M50 and clicked apply and nothing happened. Do I need to go into c: programs/ repetier / settings or something and open something that allows me to see the results of the command?
August 24, 2015 09:30PM
Where you manually enter GCode.

To get your current steps in Firmware use M503
To get your current steps in EEPROM use M501

M500 stores parameters in EEPROM
August 24, 2015 10:15PM
I must be a dumbass, where do you manually enter your gcode?
August 25, 2015 02:52PM
Sorry, Date night with the wife...

Anyways, I just installed Repetier Host. It looks like under the Manual Control Tab, G-Code text box. type the command and press send.

August 25, 2015 06:30PM
In addition to mikes post, If you don't see the lower log part, click on the toggle log button at the top. The responses of the printer will appear below.
August 25, 2015 06:34PM
Aw! Thanks guys. I'll try it and let you know what happens.
August 25, 2015 06:37PM
To shorten my holes in the z direction would I lower or raise the z steps?
August 25, 2015 09:38PM
Well, as you can see when I send M501 or 503 it appears in the log but doesn't return any info. Just keeps running M105 temp checks. Any ideas?

August 28, 2015 06:50PM
Hopefully this thread is not dead just yet, I just need to know (since Repetier won't take direct questions) why my EEPROM Config menu will not highlight to be selected. I cant see or change any settings. When I posted my issue with buying the wrong size pulleys someone said " Oh it's a Melzi board, that explains it". Please someone tell me. Is this the only board in the world that is burnt in and cannot be written to? Should I just give up wanting to change my Z Steps and buy a better controller? This is driving me crazy. I've searched and read everything online but no one actually offers a fix. Pleeeease, someone tell me. Thanks, yours truly, Will not bother you again.
August 29, 2015 01:53AM
You might get more response if you post your question in the "Firmware mainstream and related support" forum. Is your Melzi board running Marlin, or Repetier, or something else? If you send M115 to the printer then it may tell you if you don't know.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 29, 2015 04:41PM
Yea, I've done that. There to it seems that no one is reading the posts. I'm not running Marlin. I'm running Repetier. The menu that allows looking at the EEPROM settings will not highlight. There is no where to enable this menu item. And as I said 3 replies ago, sending an mcode through the repetier gcode editor has no effect. See picture above. There is no Configuration.h file to be found to look at in a text editor. I've been through every file folder on my c drive as well as my registry and there is nothing that has settings in it. So, I've given up. Apparently a Melzi board can't be written to. Thanks anyway.
August 31, 2015 04:06AM
August 31, 2015 10:55AM
I don't use repetier host or the Melzi board. Try downloading and using Pronterface to see if you can manually send gcode.

http://www.pronterface.com/
August 31, 2015 06:43PM
Yes, all of the Repetier instructions assume that I can access the "Configure EEPROM Settings" menu but I can't. It won't highlight. Repetier came with the kit and I have since downloaded the newest version. There was no board setup at all. Just load USB drivers and Repetier and print. I'll try Pronterface and see what happens. Thanks guys.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login