Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Our First Mendel Build

Posted by JohnA 
Our First Mendel Build
August 12, 2010 11:31PM
After printing 7 Mendels (2 mini, 5 regular) for sale, my father and I decided to build our own.

We were waiting on new shipments of black ABS, so we decided to go a different route with this one.

Physical assembly started this past weekend and as of this evening we can:

- jog all three axes
- heat up the extruder
- drive the extruder motor

Currently this Mendel is running MakerBot electronics (unmodified), MB firmware, and uses ReplicatorG. It's got a regular DC motor extruder (non-stepper) for the time being and uses a 'Paxtruder' where some other folks have used a printruder.

Because of the layout we've had to get creative with the wiring, making extended power (motherboard and stepper board) cables, as well as longer ribbon cables, and a lot of other small things.

Anyway -- first extruder tests and hopefully prints in the next few days! Now on to the pics:

All of these are links to higher-res versions:

DSC09875

DSC09855

DSC09950

DSC09947

DSC09953

DSC09941
Re: Our First Mendel Build
August 13, 2010 01:05AM
I like how its red and black, very cool. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2010 02:44AM by Grogyan.
August 13, 2010 11:21AM
A pic of it almost completed! Click for full-size.

DSC09955
August 13, 2010 09:02PM
......and.... it prints! Needs some adjustment, but it's laying down great rafts. Not bad for 4 days work!
August 14, 2010 12:00AM
Oh my god that is beautiful. smiling bouncing smiley

Nice bit of work, John.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
August 14, 2010 01:37AM
So this is the super sweet Mendel you mentioned!eye popping smiley Very nice looking! Great job John(s)!

cool smiley

-Steve
August 14, 2010 04:21AM
Nice work. Red looks really great. Thanks for posting pics.

Looking forward to seeing some working pics/video too
August 14, 2010 10:44PM
I should have print videos in the next day or two. Decided to swap out the Paxtruder for a MK4 Plastruder. Installed a set of Mendel paws ( [www.thingiverse.com] ) to raise it up today.
August 15, 2010 05:25AM
I think you've created the first designer Mendel, looks great in red!
August 16, 2010 01:11PM
First working print photo! Not bad for something that was just a bag of parts about 10 days ago.

higher-res: [i.imgur.com]

This is after swapping out the paxtruder for a normal MK4 Plastruder. This is untuned in any way to this bot other than some guesses at machines.xml settings, so it should get better as we goof with it.

Single wall thickness is .83 -- not far from what I'd expect.
August 16, 2010 02:23PM
Quick video: [www.youtube.com]

We'll get the gorillapod out take some HD video once we start printing some larger items.
August 16, 2010 09:33PM
Ok, last update. It has now printed it's own upgrades! Tuning seems decent so far.

DSC09988

DSC09985
August 17, 2010 01:11AM
Nice pics. Congratulations >grinning smiley<
August 22, 2010 12:04PM
Took some tweaking to really get the machines.xml file dialed in right so that a 20mm square is the right size - but now we've got it. This mendel has now printed it's first working Mendel parts!

Been a while since we dealt with rafts and such, but a homebrew heated build platform is already in the works!
August 26, 2010 09:49AM
Got our prototype heated build platform running today and it worked on the first try. Right now it's just 8" x 8", but we can step up the size easily. Still working on some wiring, but I'm very excited about the result so far.

(pic links to bigger version)

September 03, 2010 08:50PM
Recent photo from today:

Big Red Mendel

Completed and up and running with our new 8" square homebrew HBP. Working great.
September 03, 2010 10:36PM
sweet
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login