Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How warm do I need for heated chamber?

Posted by Ryan_M 
How warm do I need for heated chamber?
September 05, 2015 12:08AM
I'm working on a design for another printer with a slightly larger area than typical (30cm x 30cm). I'm building it in a box in sense to keep heat in and probably add additional heat if required. Was looking at a corexy type of setup but it's not meeting some design criteria so might settle on a ultimaker variant. Anyway... I use ABS for now but I want to leave the door open for printing with other materials like polycarbonate. I've read that a heated chamber will eliminate warped large prints and help to mitigate the print trying to separate from the bed. I'm wondering what kind or temps I need to plan for or if the contained heat off the bed will be enough. Any help would be appreciated!

Ryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2015 12:10AM by Ryan_M.
Re: How warm do I need for heated chamber?
September 05, 2015 01:23AM
ABS seems to work fine at 45-50C.

My 30x30x28 printer is kept at 45C just from the bed and extruder heaters, so a corexy design shouldn't need any additional heating if you enclose it.

Since you're in the design stage, you might consider keeping the electronics and even the motors out of the heated build chamber. I put electronics in a drawer at the bottom of the machine- see the link in my sig below.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 05, 2015 11:37PM
Thanks for the input! Keeping it enclosed is definitely part of the design criteria. I was planning on using aluminum housed resistors powered off 120VAC for heating the bed, but the silicone heaters on ebay are looking like a nice cost effective solution.... either way 120V seems the way to go. Much more power on tap without having to deal with a power supply. I'm glad to see you mention it but yes I was planning to keep the motors outside of the heated area except probably the Z motor, but it isn't a hot running motor anyway.
September 06, 2015 01:48AM
I've heard people say 80c but mine is between 55c-60c and works fine for ABS.
September 11, 2015 02:21AM
roughly 25-30c below Tg is decent for environment temp. It's the same reason why PLA prints so well at room temp because its Tg is around 50-55C
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login