Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Isaac Mendel build

Posted by jkelso 
Re: Isaac Mendel build
September 07, 2010 02:11PM
still waiting for the electronics kit gen 3 from ebay the user canceled their account hope it got sent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2010 03:43PM by jkelso.
September 07, 2010 03:46PM
today I got my power supply from hobby king in hong kong, very timely, thank you. Also from amazon I got several electronics kits: a protoshield kit for arduino/seeduino, a megashield kit for arduino mega, a motor control kit for arduino, and a seeduino MEGA compatible board.
September 08, 2010 10:08AM
I saw this at the robot store and thought it was pretty kick ass

ed-210?
September 08, 2010 02:09PM
The part I needed from Fleming bros. came overnight, thank you. If that part hadn't come today I was going to finish my other self replicating machine project.
September 08, 2010 03:19PM
Cefiar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ultimachine have a circuit board for the Pololu
> design that is shown on the Arduino Pololu Mega
> Shield page off the wiki.
>
> They don't have the thing full assembled, but the
> board itself definitely beats building it on proto
> board or even a Mega Proto Shield.
>
> Note: The parts across all the shield designs for
> Pololu are 'pretty standard', so purchasing most
> of the parts themselves is pretty much a
> no-brainer (eg: FETs, resistors and caps, the
> Pololu drivers, even connectors in some case).

+1 for the RAMPS kit. Small and sexy. IMO I think it is going to be down to Gen6 or RAMPS. RAMPS is really nice and has better hardware, but the firmware support is a little shakey right now. Gen6 can use the regular Gen3 firmware I believe.

-Steve
September 08, 2010 03:29PM
The gen 6 looks really nice. Still waiting for the tech remix kit from kimberly I got on ebay. Today hopefully. I put together the sides with the new part, everything works great. I tightened all the bolts really tight with 2 crescent wrenches. I used flat washers and here I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to use lock washers or locktite. I'm going to leave it for now, I've tightened them to the point that the washer is embedded in the plastic.

September 08, 2010 03:47PM
the new soldering station came in the mail. This feels very well made. Something tells me it's going to work a lot better than that one I got for 10 bucks at radio shack that one time.

September 08, 2010 04:09PM
Yes lock washers are a good idea. You can tighten nuts against plastic but over time the plastic creeps and then become lose. The vibration then causes the nuts to migrate along the rods. This is particularly true for PLA.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 08, 2010 05:13PM
thanks nophead. I'm on to step 3 of the frame assembly part on the flemingcnc website. Everything went on just fine, but the documentation doesn't state which length of rod I need to be using, only the part name. So I checked the documentation and found out what size rod that translates to. Would be nice if things were a little more straightforward.

September 08, 2010 05:40PM
Today I got the stepper driver boards and cables from Makerbot. Since I still don't have a confirmed shipment for the tech remix electronics I'm considering getting a bare motherboard and building my own and possibly the extruder board too. The user kimberlyandrus deleted the ebay account shortly after taking the order. It was supposed to be a 2 to 3 day express delivery and paypal says the package was shipped on the 2nd but the tracking number states that the package has not been confirmed as having been delivered to them? I'll give it another day or two maybe and call them again.
So far I have a pretty good backup plan going for the electronics. I got 5lb of plastic from them too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2010 05:46PM by jkelso.
September 08, 2010 05:52PM
These are solid HDPE so the parts aren't going to move and will handle a LOT of pressure. We don't tighten them super tight though, and certainly not enough to embed the nut eye popping smiley At that pressure I doubt they'd back out, but I don't know how elastic HDPE is either so...

The only nuts we've seen loosen up on our builds was for the x-carriage itself. You may opt to use lock nuts or lock washers on the 4 bolts that hold both halves of the carriage together. You don't want those very tight, just enough to take the play out of the bearings. The HDPE flexes a little under the pressure but you don't want to crank them down. Of course a little blue locktite is cheap, but only use a small half-drop or you might not get the parts apart confused smiley

We just don't feel a lot of vibrations in the frame, I'm guessing all the vibrations in the x-carriage are dampened by the belts?

---
Isaac: a CNCed Mendel Derived RepStrap
FlemingCNC
September 08, 2010 08:07PM
Well I've used lock washers in all the places that bolts tighten against the frame vertexes. Maybe they should've called this model the Ra.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2010 08:09PM by jkelso.
September 08, 2010 10:44PM
After tightening the bolts all down the frame had a terrible wobble between two of the corners. I spent about a half hour adjusting the bolts between the top and bottom until every corner sat solidly with no hint of wobble.
September 08, 2010 11:20PM
jkelso Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After tightening the bolts all down the frame had
> a terrible wobble between two of the corners. I
> spent about a half hour adjusting the bolts
> between the top and bottom until every corner sat
> solidly with no hint of wobble.

Don't do it that way. Some of the vertex pieces have a burr or something on them that causes that wobble... Do it by measuring. If it wobbles, buy the felt pads for the bottoms.

I am speaking from experience tongue sticking out smiley.

-Steve
September 09, 2010 01:23PM
I measured the distances and got the frame all stable. As I wait for the electronics kit to arrive I'm pondering the distinct possibility that I'll be soldering some of these boards together myself. I got another vital piece of kit from amazon.com, a true RMS multimeter. This looks like a nice one.

September 09, 2010 02:07PM
Some more goodies came today, that SAE/Metric digital caliper I've been wanting, and 1 inch kapton tape for the extruder.
Also, I got some other cool stuff off amazon today, some solar fence post lights I've been wondering about and an auto set alarm clock. weee!
September 09, 2010 05:36PM
On to phase 3 step 1, assembling the Z-motor and Z-tensioner. Finally, with the new caliper, I can get accurate mm measurements. This tool came right on time, allowing me to accurately place the nuts 25-26mm from the bottom of the rod. No more tape measure lol.

September 09, 2010 06:12PM
Step 2, mounting the bearing inside the Z motor bracket. At first I tried another clumsy way, then realized this is too difficult to do without mounting the rod into the vise. I used nylok nuts here.

September 09, 2010 06:23PM
You can't mount the Z-axis with bearing until you have the frame and X-axis assembly done!

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
September 09, 2010 07:30PM
Huh? I'm doing this step by step according to the flemingcnc site documentation. Wise guy.
I'm on to phase 3 step 3 now, everything is going smoothly now. I had to run up to home depot for some M6 nuts, thought I had everything.

September 09, 2010 08:31PM
Now to phase 3, step 3, figure 8. On the belt routing bearing that slides up and down I used a regular nut instead of a nylock.

September 09, 2010 09:23PM
After many days of trying to tighten things with this stupid stanley hex wrench tool, I finally found the right tool to be a small screwdriver with the proper bit in there. That hex wrench is nearly impossible to use, designed by an idiot.

September 10, 2010 08:11AM
Finally, after 10 days of waiting, I see that the tracking number associated with my electronics kit from ebay finally shows that the package is on the way. This appears to be a problem with USPS, as the tracking number is supposed to follow the journey all they way from it's destination. The user deleted the ebay account shortly after my purchase and my email to the sender regarding the status of this package was never returned. This did not help to inspire confidence and I was on the verge of cancelling this order through paypal, but I'm glad I waited for that extra day to cancel it. Sheesh.

September 10, 2010 08:28AM
eye popping smiley I hate to disappoint you BUT...

"Electronic Shipping Info Received" doesn't mean much, only that the customer requested a package number.
It does not verify that a package has been physically received.

The "Processed through Sort Facility" MAY mean that something was physically received.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 08:29AM by rhmorrison.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
September 10, 2010 09:42AM
no, it says processed through the denver sort facility duh.

September 10, 2010 09:48AM
Hopefully it's not a bag of rocks. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
September 10, 2010 09:58AM
read it and weep
September 10, 2010 01:56PM
Still waiting on usps, but the ups guy came already with more amazon.com stuff. The arduino book is very detailed with great pictures on exactly how to set up the breadboard and the codes. I really needed some better lighting in here. Everything seems to be evolving in the room.

September 10, 2010 03:40PM
At last, my headache went away. Today I finally received the coveted electronics kit with everything I need to proceed with the build. A giant weight has lifted I was beginning to think it was "too good to be true". I also got another amazon goodie, a desperately needed organizer.

September 10, 2010 04:02PM
Gone now are all the tacky looking mugs with nuts and bolts in them. This work area was starting to look like the nutty professor. This item was worth every penny.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login