Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Isaac Mendel build

Posted by jkelso 
Re: Isaac Mendel build
September 21, 2010 08:40PM
So EMT says that he was able to power up his gen 3 electronics by adding this code in
to the fived_gcode_interpreter.pde file and uploading the firmware to the motherboard. I tried this but it wouldn't compile....I get this message:
September 21, 2010 08:56PM
OK I tried deleting any old files I had and unzipping a new folder with this info in case something got corrupted. Right away it doesn't compile, giving me the "serial1 not declared in this scope"
September 21, 2010 09:22PM
I figured out the problem was that the board was not set to sanguino now it compiles sheesh
September 21, 2010 10:12PM
I could not get anything at all to upload to the tech zone motherboard all night. Finally, I went and pulled out my arduino mega to see if it was a problem with the usb cable. I could upload to the mega just fine so I went and tested the wires on my usb to ttl cable I made. All the wires worked. So I was almost ready to report that there is a confirmed problem with the motherboard or the usb to ttl board when I plugged it back in one last time and finally started seeing the red light blinking on the board. One more time compiling and the upload worked without having to press the reset button. Maybe it was a loose wire or something and the taking it off and testing it made it work again, I don't know. This could be a breakthrough.

September 21, 2010 11:32PM
I am happy to report that I now have all the stepper motors working through the reprap console. Sorry for being such a pain in the
September 22, 2010 12:25AM
It's time to pop the bubbly! Once these things start replicating it's gonna make the Lacerta plague look like a....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2010 12:51AM by jkelso.
September 22, 2010 12:41AM
I am happy to report that I now have all the stepper motors working through the reprap console.

Yay! smiling bouncing smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
September 22, 2010 01:28AM
I was rootin for ya!!! now the fun begins!
September 22, 2010 01:48AM
getting the reprap software to work was probably the most frustrating thing for me too... pretty bleeding edge stuff so the documentation is all over the place and everyones setups are slightly different... anyway good luck with calibration fingers crossed for you.
September 22, 2010 01:59AM
getting the reprap software to work was probably the most frustrating thing for me too... pretty bleeding edge stuff so the documentation is all over the place and everyones setups are slightly different... anyway good luck with calibration fingers crossed for you.

Hmmm ... how do you want to fix up the wiki pages for it? smiling bouncing smiley

And for bug fixes / feature requests, definitely go to http://lists.reprap.org/mailman/listinfo/reprap-dev

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
September 22, 2010 02:18AM
Congratulations. Now looking forward to seeing pics of parts made thumbs up

Your thread has been great to watch. Thanks for posting your progress so regularly. I have been checking twice daily.
September 22, 2010 02:38AM
hmm i'll maybe have a go seb, all over the place is maybe not the right wording, there's just a lot of information and sometimes you find a page but if you don't bookmark a page, it's hard to find again through the wiki. maybe i'll work on a list of links of all the pages i found helpful but hidden away... after i update my wiki... (might try and do that today why not)
September 22, 2010 07:09AM
That's awesome news jkelso. You are inspiring me to build one, even with your hardships.
September 22, 2010 12:34PM
Thanks to everyone, even if the answer wasn't the right one it's nice to know people want to help. Just knowing there's support for the project kept me inspired even when I was stuck at times. Today I've installed the X belt, it went just fine. After cutting 2 belts on the little white line I hastily cut the 3rd belt which apparently did not need to be cut. I'm going to attempt to repair it with heat.
September 22, 2010 01:12PM
I found some search results on ebay using "5mm belt" that could possibly be the right size belts. I see that hobby vendors are offering the belts, which makes me curious to go check out the hobby store for these as well. I tried melting the washer into the belt with heat but it didn't work so I decided to try locktite on there with a washer.
September 22, 2010 03:55PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2010 07:51PM by jkelso.
September 22, 2010 04:03PM
Personally, I believe that Zack, Bre, and Adam have done much to help this hobby and am very impressed with what they've accomplished. I started out with MakerBot #238. Some people who sell RP kits print them on MakerBots.
September 22, 2010 05:05PM
OK - maybe this is a silly question - but in the last two posts, there is a picture of uploading the firmware from replicatorG, followed by the Reprap host software.

ReplicatorG firmware -- works with ReplicatorG
Reprap Mendel Firmware -- works with Reprap Host Software

Are you mixing and matching the firmware and the control software?

Also - the firmware builds on both the motherboard and the extruder should be the same revision, and should match the control software you are using.
September 22, 2010 07:54PM
I was trying to use repligatorG at first when I was testing the motherboard and drivers because it worked with the firmware that was loaded in when I was sent the boards. Now I've waited for the belt glue to dry and so far it seems to be working just fine. I've opened the reprap console and can now control the Y platform easily and also the Z movement up and down. The machine makes wonderful noises now which are music to my ears. I have to go back and retighten the X belt that clamps to the extruder because the belt pulled loose on the first try but the motor is working.
September 22, 2010 08:47PM
I had everything working just fine, then I moved the machine to tighten a belt and now when I try to nudge anything it moves a short distance then stops and the arrows freeze up. I have to end out of the software and restart again but so far I'm not getting the results from a few minutes ago when the Z was moving up and down. I rechecked the usb to ttl cable again and looked over the connections but everything seems ok. I wonder what changed.
September 22, 2010 08:52PM
Scratch that....one more try and it seems to be working now.....
September 22, 2010 09:08PM
Something tells me it's a loose wire in the cable that keeps interfering with the signal to the machine. One minute it works and the next it doesn't. I pushed all the wires back down in there again. Now that I've got it all working again without the software freezing up the axis are moving on command. When I hit the home button the Y axis comes all the way to the side without the opto endstop and tries to keep going for a while. I suppose now would be a good time to go back to the wiki and see how to configure the settings so that it knows how far to make the platform travel. The X axis travels freely until about halfway and then it seems to jam up a little. It looks like I need to make some more fine adjustments before this is ready to print anything.
September 22, 2010 09:33PM
I've identified the X travel problem as a loose belt. There is a problem trying to tighten these belt clamps because one of the top screws is completely inaccessible and the other one on the top bent the plastic surface when I tried to tighten the belt clamp so now the plastic is deformed. I think I could drill a hole through the existing hole and into the next piece of plastic so that I could fit a longer bolt in there.
September 22, 2010 10:22PM
OK the problem wasn't the belt being loose it was the way that I had wound the belt through the pulleys on one end that was causing the problem.....now it's working fine.

September 22, 2010 10:59PM
Now I have a problem with the extruder. I haven't had a chance to test it yet but recently it was hooked up and the red LED that indicates it's getting a temp signal on the thermosensor was off, indicating it was getting a signal. Now the light is on. A few minutes ago while messing with the power cord the lines got crossed and I saw white smoke come out of the back of the extruder board. The lights are still working on the board but I don't have any idea of how to test if something got ruined. It may be that I don't have the settings right, I'm hoping....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2010 11:06PM by jkelso.
September 22, 2010 11:08PM
I have an extra stepper controller board and I've been thinking of using this board in place of the extuder board and fixing up my own separately controlled heat source that would be controlled independently of the computer. Any ideas on making this work?
September 23, 2010 12:26AM
I noticed that the bottom of the ribbon that connects the 10 pin header on the motherboard to the extruder had been fried. I'm thinking that this may be good news that the white smoke I saw may not have fried the extruder board as I had thought. I'm going to replace this and see if I can get the extruder working and if not I think I have a backup plan that may work here to get rid of the extruder board. Maybe I don't have the code for the board written correctly or the preferences wrong, I'm not sure why it doesn't extrude but as soon as I get a new cable made up I'm going to test the makerbot board and see if I can get anything going with it.
September 23, 2010 12:31AM
hmm. did you get accurate temperature readings before you pressed heater on?
September 23, 2010 12:51AM
nope. What I've discovered now is that the extruder board doesn't work. It's possible it could be a wiring connection bad but I hooked the Z axis ribbon to the extuder controller to see if I could control the Z axis with the extruder board. It doesn't work. I'm going to recheck the wiring to the stepper motor but for now it appears the extruder board won't control anything.
September 23, 2010 01:30AM
What I've discovered now is that the extruder board doesn't work.
Poop. confused smiley

You may want to ping techzone (or was it botmill in your case?) directly.

I think they're boothing for NYC Maker Faire, so you may not get an answer until Monday or Tuesday. I hope you do not go nuts in the meantime if that is the case. smiling bouncing smiley

On a more pragmatic note, do you have a DMM? Is the extruder board getting power?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login