> forum and it compiled fine, but now I can't get
> the program to upload to the extruder board. I
> have the green wire on the usb to ttl cable
> towards the bottom and I plugged the cable back
> into the COM1 slot but nothing. I tried switching
> the com port but it didn't help. I also checked
> to make sure I'm using
> Diecimilia[i55.tinypic.com]

This error is normally associated with choosing the wrong board or com port. The important parts of the board selection are the actual chip (168, 328, 644, 1280) and the voltage it runs at. Many of the arduino boards can be the same name but have either the 168 or 328 chips. Also, if you use the pro varieties, they have to be set as the correct voltage setting too. Just figured Id offer what I knew
Re: Isaac Mendel build
September 20, 2010 11:45PM
They may be talking about the console window of the arduino software. In which case you click the rightmost button in arduino labeled serial port (looks like a tv with antenna) and it will open the serial console. Then you need to set the baud rate to the rate specified in the arduino code (inside the parenthesis of the serial.begin() statement)
September 21, 2010 01:00AM
did you change your port to com3 or whatever your motherboard comes up as in arduino?
September 21, 2010 09:46AM
When I would plug in one of the 2 cables I would get either com 4 or com 5 depending on which cable I was using. I was not changing USB slots, which to me is very confusing. I don't understand how a cable could change the port number but it did. Now I have the problem of trying to test these newly programmed steppers and drivers but not getting anything to respond. Now that I have the extruder driver loaded in there the nozzle isn't heating up any more. Also I don't see any light on the motherboard coming on when it's all plugged in. Getting 3 red lights on the drivers and some green lights on them too. Also, I changed the baud rate in device manager to 19200 last night before getting it to work, dunno if that was the key to it or what. Oh, the serial port is where to set the baud rate I did not know that thanks. I went to check and see if it matched my com port setting and it does not. It is set to 9600 and I have the com at 19200. Oh well, I got the Done Uploading message so I assume it worked. Now I'm wondering if there's a problem with the settings or what because none of my steppers have been responding

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2010 10:10AM by jkelso.
September 21, 2010 10:11AM
it's not referring to USB ports, but the serial ports.

PS i meant to say have you changed your port in the reprap preferences not arduino.
September 21, 2010 10:16AM
My problem is this: When I go to the reprap preferences and change them, then I hit the create button nothing seems to happen. Then I close the preferences window and open it again to see if the settings are changed but they are not saved, I'm back to the original settings. The drop down window only says "reprap".
September 21, 2010 10:29AM
I think what I'm beginning to understand is that there is some other document I should be editing called reprap.preferences.dist in the mendel folder maybe. It seems like the preferences should be editable from the software, but I could be wrong. Are the properties editable from the reprap software or do I need to edit the file through notepad or some other software? I searched the wiki "reprap console" and found it down the list through another link but the page had only a few sentences on the properties window and not what I needed to know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2010 10:31AM by jkelso.
September 21, 2010 10:40AM
I've heard others on the forum, such as nophead, say that they don't use the reprap software, they use their own stuff. At times during this procedure I've wondered if it wouldn't just be much easier to hook up the leads from my digital soldering iron to the nichrome wire and use cupcake software on replicator G. At least I had that partially working at one time, although it wasn't heating up the nozzle.
September 21, 2010 10:41AM
when i change preferences in reprap host I open preferences, change whatever, press save down the bottom (maximise the window if you can't see it)

then i close the software, restart my machine, and re open the software. Not sure if resetting the software&hardware is necessary but pretty sure the software needs to be restarted for your changes to take effect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2010 10:42AM by mlagana.
September 21, 2010 11:08AM
Whatever happened to just making available a working software CD so that people don't have to have an advanced degree in electrical engineering coupled with a computer science degree just to get the thing working? This option I found on ebay is looking more and more viable every day, I could use the digital soldering iron to control the heat.

September 21, 2010 11:19AM
After increasing my screen resolution to the max I can now see that there is a button at the bottom which says OK.
September 21, 2010 11:30AM
I've changed the extruder count to 1, changed the baud rate to 9600 (not sure why, I guess because I saw it in the arduino serial screen), changed the port to COM 4, changed comm debug to true. Hit OK each time I made a change to save the settings, it wouldn't save them all at once. Then went back to test the Y bed nudged it 10mm and hit GO and....nothing.

September 21, 2010 11:42AM
I think you need to restart the RepRap Host after you change the COM port.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
September 21, 2010 11:45AM
I tried that, still nothing
September 21, 2010 11:53AM
When I restart the software the machines lights flicker and there's a click from the driver boards but nothing moves.
I checked the COM 4 baud rate at 19200 in the device manager and then changed it in the preferences but didn't get any movement
September 21, 2010 12:16PM
I'm hearing a high pitched whine from the Y motor. It doesn't move when I try to nudge it 10mm and press go. The noise is very faint but I can hear it when I put my ear there. Do I want a space in between com and 4 or just com4?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2010 12:54PM by jkelso.
September 21, 2010 01:31PM
Just "COM4".
You can see if you are talking to Motherboard are not when you have debug turned on.

What does it say?

Are your stepper drivers turned up too high or the speed set too high?

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
September 21, 2010 02:37PM
There's a screenshot of every setting I've got right here on the thread. If they are turned up too high what setting would I look at and what is the setting supposed to be?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2010 02:38PM by jkelso.
September 21, 2010 02:41PM
To anyone thinking of building a reprap I would caution you to start with the electronics only and not to spend a penny on anything more until these are working properly with the proper software. If you cannot get this to work don't waste your money on anything else because you will be stuck with a $1000 doorstop as I am.
September 21, 2010 02:50PM
I'd probably add "and extruder" to that recommendation.
September 21, 2010 02:59PM
I wouldn't waste money on an extruder you won't be able to use. That's another $50 down the drain. If the boards don't work, and the software codes don't want to load, or the preferences in the software are a well guarded secret, then $50 extra for an extruder you can't use is $50 more gone. Just start with the boards and the motors and the software. If you can't get those going you don't have jack.
September 21, 2010 03:32PM
Since I have more time on my hands than money I suppose I'll probably keep trying to load various configuration.h settings back into the motherboard or trying to install the software offered for installation in the replicator g software. I know the extruder heats up good, but I'm not sure how far I want to get into tweaking settings if the electronics are no good. The fact that kimberly andrus deleted the ebay account right after I paid does not inspire confidence.
September 21, 2010 04:04PM
[reprap.org]
I found the preferences settings here, I'm going to start looking it over.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2010 05:43PM by jkelso.
September 21, 2010 06:21PM
I don't see anything unusual that might make the motors run too slow to turn. I've decided to take a break from looking at the software and hook up the opto endstops. I am going to try playing with repsnapper for a while maybe I could get something to work.

September 21, 2010 06:38PM
Now the reprap console does not work any more. When I go to the XYZ tab and try to nudge the Y 10 mm the button freezes and the whole program freezes. I'm seeing these lines continually scrolling in the window until I hit ctrl alt delete to end task.
On my motherboard I have a blinking red light and a green light solid under it, on the driver boards I have a green light on the first one and red and green lights on the other two.
September 21, 2010 07:39PM
I was not able to load the motherboard software back in to the motherboard from replicatorG When I try to do it I hit the reset button and hold it when uploading but it's telling me "firmware upload failed". I went back to the reprap console and something happened in the settings or something it just keeps freezing up...

September 21, 2010 07:44PM
It looks like the reprap software is failing because it finds a reprap, talks to it, and gets garbage back. Post a shot of the errors you get with the firmware upload.
September 21, 2010 08:05PM

I'm not sure if this is what I need to be doing or not. Seems like I should be able to get reprap console working..
September 21, 2010 08:15PM
I went back and tried to look at the settings but I have no clue where to start or if a setting is causing this but...
when I try to hit that right arrow on any of the axis, the arrow turns dark blue and the program freezes. I have to clrl alt delete the program and end task....

September 21, 2010 08:25PM
I've been looking at this thread, seems like many of the same problems.....
do I need to delete the firmware on the motherboard before installing new?
[forums.reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login