Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder controller firmware loading blues

Posted by Tom Frisch 
Extruder controller firmware loading blues
August 31, 2010 12:53AM
We've got an Extruder Controller v2.2 board, it's all populated, and the power lights up when connected to reprap motherboard, USB, Tiny programmer, or when sent it's operating voltage from the PSU.

I was able to burn the bootloader multiple times without error, but when I load the firmware I get the following error in Arduio IDE:

stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I get the same error when I load the test program from the reprap website.

Note: The LED blinks after the bootloader is loaded, which makes me think that it succeeded,
but without the firmware running, I'm stuck.

Anyone have any ideas?

-Tom
VDX
Re: Extruder controller firmware loading blues
August 31, 2010 03:09AM
Hi Tom,

we already had this theme several times - you have to press the reset-button, when the size of the file appears in the statusline ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 31, 2010 08:15AM
Tom,
I had this problem for a while. Here is the sequence to follow. Get your code ready to go. Press and hold the reset button on the extruder or motherboard depending on which one you are using. Then click the upload button. Continue holding the reset button until the white text comes up in the Arduino window. This should work every time. If it does not work then it is most likely your cable you are using to connect the board with the USB. I had this problem myself for a while and couldn't figure it out, my cable tested out fine a number of times. But once I moved it just right it would flake out. I ended up connecting my USB adapter board right up to the extruder board and motherboard with jumpers and that works perfectly.
May 26, 2011 02:57PM
Hi,
Do not want to repeat the same question,but have no choice.I too stuck with the same problem of
stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51
And tried all the combinations with reset switch .Using the same cable and board which was sucessfully used to load bootloader.please help me,I m using win7,and a prebought sanguino (only)breakout board.(without all the gen 3 mobo connections)
June 02, 2011 06:51AM
@colourz - if you want to load the firmware to the extruder controller, you have to connect the USB-Serial adapter cable to the extruder controller directly.
June 13, 2011 01:26PM
HI Again
when I connect the serial cable to the EC board,nothing seems to happen.no debug light on the board,nothing on the ftdi modulu or the pc.
the EC2.2 gen 3 board was mae by me.
from where should I burn the bootloader on the atmega168?
Nothing happens even when I connect the programmer to the ICSP on the EC.
Help will be much appreciated.
thanks
Raj.
June 14, 2011 03:22AM
Anyone?
June 14, 2011 02:59PM
Have you looked here: [reprap.org]?

Note that in recent Five-D firmware (reprap host) for gen 3, the instruction to blink the debug light is commented out so you might not see that green LED blinking even if you're successful in loading the firmware. But if you watch carefully while loading the firmware, you will see LED activity. You will also see it during RS485 transfer between the motherboard and the EC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2011 03:03PM by brnrd.
June 14, 2011 09:31PM
thanks brnrd,
sorry I forgot to mention that there is not even the power led on the EC board is coming up.I checked the orientation of the led and it is correct.and I was trying to burn the bootloader.
June 15, 2011 12:36AM
You should turn off the 12V power supply to the EC or disconnect it before you plug the USB-TTL board to it. I think it get's power through the USB port.

(Sorry mistyped and missed the "off". I hope I didn't confuse you.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2011 06:39AM by brnrd.
June 15, 2011 12:55AM
Ok,I'll explain it again.
I am trying to upload bootloader in to the self made EC v2.2 .
I connected avrisp to the ISCP of the Ec.
Plugged in the usb to the pc.
Now there is a little flicker of power led on the avrisp thats all.there is absolutely nothing on the EC board,no power,no debugging leds lit. I've checked the orientation of the leds which is fine.
Can anyone shed light on what mistake am I doing?
June 15, 2011 06:59AM
I didn't have to upload the bootloaded to mine since it already came preinstalled (TZ Gen 3 Remix). So, I'm not familiar with bootloading instructions.
VDX
June 15, 2011 07:17AM
... check if the AVRISP powers the EC (trace the +5V and GND connections) - maybe you have to apply extra +5V as power for the EC.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

June 15, 2011 02:43PM
Thanx guys
After some forum searching found out that Victor is right. AVRISP does'nt power up the board.you have to use external +5v .though it didnt solve my problem.
even when i connect ttl-to-usb cable ,nothing happens.no power led! nada zip.
VDX
June 16, 2011 01:40AM
... then measure with a voltmeter if you have +5V at the right traces - maybe you have a short somewhere, a missing connection ... or simply overheated your LED while soldering ...

Viktor
--------

June 17, 2011 12:32PM
Hi Victor
I checked everything as you said.now what I observed is the 5v regulator is getting near red hot as soon as applied with external supply(only 6v 800mA) as well as both the 100uf electrolytic capacitors on either side of the regulator.
any guess why?
I checked circuit for shorts.clear.made the pcb as per wiki instructions.
RAJ
VDX
June 17, 2011 01:56PM
... 6V is maybe not enough, so the regulator starts oscillating confused smiley

Try with a higher voltage and measure the drawed current ...

Viktor
--------

June 18, 2011 08:47AM
If the electrolytics get hot then either it is just heat conducted from the regulator, or they are reversed, or the supply is reversed.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 19, 2011 12:13AM
Yes ,it must be the heat from the regulator because the power led now glows and I've been long enough with general electronics to know what happens when the polarity reversed to the electrolytics.pop goes the weasel.
Anyway thanks guys.now I am making monotronics from the scratch.no more will to make gen3 work.this time no more mistakes as I learnt a lot from you really,really helpful guys.will keep you posted.
btw what could be the reason for regulator heating up? is it the oscillation due to low voltage?
Raj
June 19, 2011 02:35AM
I have never known linear regulators to get too hot or oscillate due to low voltage.

6V is too low for most 5V regulators (7805 needs 7V), so I would expect that you would get a bit less than 5V out of it with 6V in. Have you measured the output of the regulator?

The most likely reason it gets hot is that something on the board is taking too much current.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login