Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder not working

Posted by markmark101 
Extruder not working
October 26, 2015 08:47PM
Hey guys,

I know there are a thousand posts about extruder problems, been through most and still can't find a solution.

Got a fresh i3 build, Repetier Host and Marlin firmware (now trying Repeteir 0.92.5 firmware).

I know the hardware is all okay, have tested the motor, the driver and the pin outs on RAMPS (changed the pin.h file so that Rep drove the X axis via the E0 pins/driver, worked fine).

So I'm thinking software/firmware.

I can't get any signs of life from the extruder motor. Can't jog it, even when using M302 S0 to disable the cold extrude lockout, I tell it to do a print, hot end heats up, XYZ wizz around but just no extrusion, dry run is not switched on.

Tired all the invert enable options, just makes the stepper jam on when at idle.

Fairly sure I had all the config settings correct.

I'm very stuck, please throw ideas at me smiling smiley

Thanks in advance!!
Re: Extruder not working
October 26, 2015 09:00PM
Check that your extruder driver board is plugged in (bit obvious, but...) and the right way round.

Try switching the extruder and X axis connectors at the RAMPS. Now, when you tell it to move in the X-axis, does the extruder motor turn? Does the X axis move when you give extrude/retract commands (beware, end-stop won't function!)? If the X-axis doesn't move, then there is a problem with the circuitry. If the extruder motor doesn't turn, then there's a problem with the wiring to the extruder motor, or the motor itself.
October 26, 2015 10:02PM
Thanks for the reply frankvdh...

I've checked the driver, it's in there properly all pins are in nicely and the orientation is correct. I actually swapped it out for a fresh one just to be sure.

I swapped the X motor and extruder wires around, when I jog the X axis in Repetier the extruder motor jogs, perfect.

When I jog the extruder in Repetier the X axis does nothing.

Switched the motors back and attempted to check the E0 circuitry...

I'm fairly certain the circuitry is fine however, to check this, I tested it by swapping the X and E0 pins in the pin.h file.

So when I jog the X axis in Rep it calls the E0 connected motor to move. So now when I jog X axis it moves the extruder via the E0 output, so to me this shows that the driver for E0, the pins, everything that should be telling the E0 motor to turn is working.

So it's got to be software?? Surely.

What else am I missing?

Thanks again smiling smiley
October 26, 2015 10:26PM
I got it :/

Took me 3 days sad smiley

Swapped the driver and motor wiring to E1, swapped the pin allocations in pin.h between E0 and E1, now cold extrudes (even if I don't use m302 s0).

Can't explain what the issue was as I knew E0 was working.
July 21, 2021 09:00AM
Please we are facing the same problem our extruder module function on X axis pin but not on E0. Just wanted to know if you can specify code line where to modify the last description was not precise. Thanks for your understanding
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login