Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SAE Z-axis Steps per MMsmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by kerkove 
SAE Z-axis Steps per MMsmiling bouncing smiley
November 02, 2015 08:20PM
Greetings,

I have been fighting these 5/16-18 threaded rods on my z-axis for weeks now. Finally, I believe I've found a solution. Forget all of these magic numbers you find in other forums, google, etc. Everything I have read since the first sickly looking calibration object popped from the print bed and my wife thought it was her christmas present told me to use 2267.716 for Z steps per mm. Negative.

Try this out:
2267.712 Steps per mm.
Here are some layer heights you can try:

You should be able to multiply any of these by 1.5 for your first layer height if desired. I have had good results in doing so.

Before and after:
Any number that divides equally into 2267.712 works for me. Anyone with 1.8 degree stepper motors should benefit as well. I had some really gnarly stuff coming out of this thing, the ribbing is 100% gone.

I hope this helps anyone building an SAE Reprap.
Kerkove
Re: SAE Z-axis Steps per MMsmiling bouncing smiley
November 02, 2015 08:24PM
Edit: Crap, I totally read that wrong lol... Please ignore...

With lead screws you have a thread pitch and how many thread starts there are.

steps per mm = (motor_steps_per_rev * driver_microstep) / thread_pitch*starts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2015 08:26PM by madmike8.
November 02, 2015 09:14PM
The problem appeared to be that the thread pitch in mm is a recurring decimal. 1/18 x 25.4 = 1.41111.... Finding a layer height and steps per unit value that divide into each other equally to avoid the software having to round up every few layers was the challenge here, as well as being close enough to the actual value to avoid affecting dimensional accuracy. Any information (forum thread, howto, magazine article, anything) i could find states the magic number is 2267.716 with a layer height of .1905 or .254. Possibly there was a typographical error somewhere along the way and it became misleading tribal knowledge. eye rolling smiley
November 02, 2015 09:15PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2015 09:15PM by kerkove.
November 02, 2015 09:28PM
Btw, after drinking coffee and rereading, that makes good sense.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login