Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How can I know (0,0,0) on my object ?

Posted by bianchi 
How can I know (0,0,0) on my object ?
November 10, 2015 04:35PM
Guys,

How can I know my object position on the printer ?
Where is (x,y,z) (0,0,0) of my object on the printer ?

How can I find it in my gcode ?
Any experiences or ideas ?

Thanks
Re: How can I know (0,0,0) on my object ?
November 10, 2015 06:11PM
bianchi
Guys,

How can I know my object position on the printer ?
Where is (x,y,z) (0,0,0) of my object on the printer ?

How can I find it in my gcode ?
Any experiences or ideas ?

Thanks

Not sure what you are after, but preview your gcode in the slicer or place the object to that you have 0.0.0 at one of the corners.
November 10, 2015 06:45PM
Where X0, Y0 are for your printer depends on what kind of printer you have.

A Delta printer has X0, Y0, at the center of the build volume, other printers have it at a corner. Z0 is at the surface of the build plate.

You can easily command your printer to go to that location. For instance, in Pronterface there is a place to enter a command in the lower right corner of the window. Just enter the following (in upper case) and hit Send:
G1 X0 Y0 Z2

This will move the hotend and/or printbed to that location. Notice that I used Z2 instead of Z0 so the head should be 2mm above the build plate, in case your printer is not zeroed properly - it won't crash the head.

Now your slicer should be set to know what kind of printer you have, and it's dimensions, so when you place the part on the virtual print bed it usually sets it to the center of the build volume, not necessarily at the X0, Y0 point.

Not sure if that answers your question...

Now you can look in the beginning of Gcode your slicer generates and see where it moves to at the beginning, but this could be at at any point on the outside of the model, or of a skirt or brim if that is printed.

My printer: Raptosaur - Large Format Delta - [www.paulwanamaker.wordpress.com]
Can you answer questions about Calibration, Printing issues, Mechanics? Write it up and improve the Wiki!
November 14, 2015 12:48AM
If you are using Slic3r. Click on "Slicer" in the main window, click "Configuration" The (3) tabs in that window are "Print Settings","Filament Settings", and "Printer Settings". Click "Printer Settings", select "Extruder 1". You'll see a setting for "Extruder Offset" with X and Y windows. Mine is set to X -20 and Y 4. That's because I redesigned my X carriage that holds my hotend and it positioned the hotend differently than the stock setup. I print a 1/2 inch dot and measure how far off center it is and adjust x and y to compensate. Don't forget that after each change you have save changes in the configuration window and then re-slice for the changes to take affect.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login