Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which reprap produces the best quality prints?

Posted by appjaws1 
Which reprap produces the best quality prints?
December 09, 2015 08:45AM
I have an ormerod 1 at the moment and really like the duet control solution with duet web control, especially because it is so well supported by dc42 and ch.

I have been struggling for some time to improve the quality of my prints and came to the conclusion that I needed a different printer, but what to get? I have considered trying to design my own from scratch.

What are the pros and cons of the various reprap printers?
What are the main problems with an own designed printer?

any pointers would be very helpful.

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
Re: Which reprap produces the best quality prints?
December 09, 2015 08:58AM
I designed my printer and built it using mostly surplus machine parts. When I started three years ago I knew nothing more about 3D printing than that I wanted to be able to 3D print life sized human skulls extracted from CT scan data. I ultimately settled on a 12" x 12" x almost 12" build envelope because I found that it was difficult to find bed heaters that were larger than 12" x 12" for any reasonable cost. Last year I redesigned the machine and rebuilt it. The result is linked in my sig, below.

You can see how I started out and many of the errors I made along the way here: [mark.rehorst.com] Maybe you can avoid some of my mistakes using this info.

If I were starting from scratch today and building a 1 cuft or larger print volume, I'd probably go CoreXY. As the bed gets larger it becomes difficult/expensive to control its motion in the Y axis. It's much better to have the bed move only in the Z axis.

I suggest you start by finding your local makerspace- those places are full of people, tools, and machines, that can help you get your project going.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 09, 2015 03:22PM
appjaws1
I have an ormerod 1 at the moment and really like the duet control solution with duet web control, especially because it is so well supported by dc42 and ch.

I have been struggling for some time to improve the quality of my prints and came to the conclusion that I needed a different printer, but what to get? I have considered trying to design my own from scratch.

What are the pros and cons of the various reprap printers?
What are the main problems with an own designed printer?

any pointers would be very helpful.

What particular print quality issues do you have that you are looking to overcome, and with what material?

My Ormerod 1 (with several upgrades) prints well in PLA except for overhangs and bridges, which I could probably improve by converting to the Ormerod 2 hot end (see [reprappro.com]). But my main focus now is on my Kossel - see the link in my signature.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 10, 2015 08:34AM
@the_digital_dentist Thank you for the link to your build, I am learning a lot, great job
@dc42 I have a problem with my aluminum x arm flexing at the end in the Y direction by a large amount and I can't seem to eliminate it. It is likely to be affecting my print quality as I believe that the normal printing vibrations are then being transmitted to the nozzle..
All of my prints have noticeable groves in the vertical walls as Z is increased. It appears that this problem has increased over time because a year ago, these lines were barely noticeable. It's almost as if the layer in one direction is offset to the previous layer which gives a concertina look.
I hope you can see what I men in the photos

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
December 10, 2015 08:55AM
Regarding the layer shift in the Y direction, did you print the adjustable Z runner that was released a couple of months after the initial Ormerod 1 release, and if so, have you tried tightening it? Also, have you tried asking on the Ormerod forum for suggestions? I don't recall seeing any mention of this problem there.

The waves and holes in the Z direction puzzle me. Do you get them with all filaments?

If you are looking for another printer to build, I am fan of delta printers, so that's what I would recommend now. The main reasons not to use a delta IMO would be if you need a large rectangular print area, or you want to print a material such as Ninjaflex that does't print well with a Bowden extruder. You could build a Kossel from the BOM I list in my blog, or ask T3P3 to be a beta tester for their forthcoming large Kossel kit.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

December 10, 2015 09:30AM
dc42
Regarding the layer shift in the Y direction, did you print the adjustable Z runner that was released a couple of months after the initial Ormerod 1 release, and if so, have you tried tightening it? Also, have you tried asking on the Ormerod forum for suggestions? I don't recall seeing any mention of this problem there.

I don't know what you mean by '' adjustable Z runner '' I have an adjustable Y belt tensioner and the belt is as tight as it should be.

dc42
The waves and holes in the Z direction puzzle me. Do you get them with all filaments?

Yes with the sun filaments that I normally use and with other suppliers. As I said this was not so pronounced a year ago. I am using your latest firmware dc42-1.09m and DWC 1.07 and slicing with simplify3d.

dc42
If you are looking for another printer to build, I am fan of delta printers, so that's what I would recommend now. The main reasons not to use a delta IMO would be if you need a large rectangular print area, or you want to print a material such as Ninjaflex that does't print well with a Bowden extruder. You could build a Kossel from the BOM I list in my blog, or ask T3P3 to be a beta tester for their forthcoming large Kossel kit.

Great idea, have you noticed an improvement in print quality with your mini kossel compared with the ormerod?

thank you for your time

edit: The ormerd printing problem transferred to the ormerod forum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2015 10:30AM by appjaws1.

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
December 10, 2015 09:38AM
David, if you want to do flexible materials on a delta look at Ultibots PG35 micro extruder. It increases the effector weight but eliminates the Bowden setup. They have a newer cooler version, the UMBEE which is a metal version.
December 10, 2015 10:47AM
appjaws1
I don't know what you mean by '' adjustable Z runner '' I have an adjustable Y belt tensioner and the belt is as tight as it should be.

I mean this:

The original version didn't have the adjusting screw, which lets you tighten up the Z runner against the Z extrusion to eliminate any free play. Any free play there will allow the X arm to rotate about the Z axis. I had to tighten mine up recently.

appjaws1
Great idea, have you noticed an improvement in print quality with your mini kossel compared with the ormerod?

Both my printers provide good print quality (much better than in your photos), but the Kossel prints about twice as fast for the same quality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2015 10:48AM by dc42.

December 10, 2015 12:25PM
Thanks for the info.
Yes I do have the correct Z runner and it is tight, very tight, I have noticed that the screw holding the bearing is not square anymore. I think you have solved this problem, I will reprint another before I take the original apart. It could be that the rear bearing may be loose as well but I'll have to wait until it's removed.

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login